BMW to supply SAAB engines

Aikmanson

Torque Junkie
From
Kingston, New York
Car
1995 Saab 900 2.0T
http://newsroom.saab.com/news/news/...ineengines.5.6a0ed975128ec1d13f17ffe2487.html

Thought I would pop in and let you Saab guys know whats going on out there. Turns out BMW will supply a 1.6L Turbocharged engine for Saab starting in 2012. The new 9-2 is supposed to be featured around the chassis of a MINI as well.

I have mixed feelings about this. To be honest, I am not impressed with BMW engines of late. Reliability seems to have gone downhill. The older Saab engines (1999 and Pre) were built so well, so it is a shame to see BMW will take over in those regards... I hope this means BMW will supply some simpler/better chassis ideas for Saabs.

Anyway I imagine that Saab will still control the mapping for these engines, as they seem to pioneer mapping (T5, T7 were great accomplishments).

T9 man

TC ModFather
From
London, UK
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
http://newsroom.saab.com/news/news/...ineengines.5.6a0ed975128ec1d13f17ffe2487.html

Thought I would pop in and let you Saab guys know whats going on out there. Turns out BMW will supply a 1.6L Turbocharged engine for Saab starting in 2012. The new 9-2 is supposed to be featured around the chassis of a MINI as well.

I have mixed feelings about this. To be honest, I am not impressed with BMW engines of late. Reliability seems to have gone downhill. The older Saab engines (1999 and Pre) were built so well, so it is a shame to see BMW will take over in those regards... I hope this means BMW will supply some simpler/better chassis ideas for Saabs.

Anyway I imagine that Saab will still control the mapping for these engines, as they seem to pioneer mapping (T5, T7 were great accomplishments).
Agreed! BMW engines can take a good hiding and keep on going afterwards! As Saab are now in the honeymoon period of a new era! I feel that the link to BMW will help our sales considerably, thus more money for Saab to do what it is that they do best; innovative ideas and invention! :D