BMW m550d engine

Hi guys!
I found an article about the M550d engine ( http://www.autocomparison.com/bmw-m-performance-goes-diesel/ ) (you probably already heard of it because the news is pretty old).. What is your opinion, should BMW build M diesels or should they stay with the high rpm gasoline engines? Has anyone already driven a car with this engine?
Cheers!

BMW diesels are superb in my opinion - even the four cylinder 2.0 litre ones are sensational. Not driven the M car but I have driven a remapped 535d and the shove is sensational and immediate. BMW is not known for releasing immature technology so my opinion is they should keep going with all of it.

Of late BMW is moving away from straight six petrols for some applications - the current 528i is a 2.0 litre four cylinder turbo unit, for example. Allegedly it works supremely well.

Welcome to Torque Cars :)

think the straight 6 diesels are much better than the 4 pots. But the 123d is really good.
Haven't heard of that Paul, about the 528.

BMW are diesel legends imo.

think the straight 6 diesels are much better than the 4 pots. But the 123d is really good.
Haven't heard of that Paul, about the 528.

BMW are diesel legends imo.

I do like BMW diesels and I agree the fours are superb too. My 406 2.2 HDi was superb as a four cyl diesel, in my estimation a match for a BMW four in terms of refinement. Totally different to the 2.0 HDi unit.

BMW's straight six 525tds was amazing in it's era too.