best less obvious car to tune?

LPMorgan

Road Burner
Car
none at the moment
i need a 5dr or a spacious 3dr, what would be the least obvious car to choose? was thinking like an old rover metro, diahatsu charade, hyundai accent, daewoo matiz (random car).. i wanna stay away from golf's, fiesta's, corsa's etc... typical tuned cars, i want something different but funny to see peoples faces when it blows them away lol

see loads of bora's driving round leicester, and it's a VW too popular and too "non shock" car as it can keep up with most cars the same size anyway, it's gotta be small and cheap

My daughter has a VW Corrado. Old, I know, but not a bad looking car. Comes in both 4 pot and V6 flavours. Only downside is that it is FWD :)

needs to be cheap insurance lol low insurance group, i'd love an old vw polo with a golf r32 drive system lol now that would be a monster killer!

Nah engine goes in the front:amuse:
Essentially it's the same K series engine just a bit larger capacity & a VVC head, you can also use the PG1 gearbox & the MGTF's boxes came with a LSD as well.

Last edited:
It'd be a squeeze, anyway I think my 1.8 100 is faster than my ZS.:p

Other engines? The VAG 1.8T is the first one that springs to mind for me.:)

i need a 5dr or a spacious 3dr, what would be the least obvious car to choose? was thinking like an old rover metro, diahatsu charade, hyundai accent, daewoo matiz (random car).. i wanna stay away from golf's, fiesta's, corsa's etc... typical tuned cars, i want something different but funny to see peoples faces when it blows them away lol

you cant get a cheap fast car that has low group insurance - they dont exist

especially if you then modify it.

for easy tuning it would have to be forced induction for better gains, and cheap would probably be volvo or saab. I believe you can get 300bhp out of a saab 9000 very easily, (Just the use of a screwdriver on the older 9000's nets a huge gain.) Or there is the diesel route, How about a 306dturbo, meant to be brilliant and can be tuned easily (Again just a screwdriver). But the old saying goes, it's better to buy an allready fast car than buy a car and spend money making it fast.
How fast do you want to go? What is your criteria? how much do you want to spend? What 0-100 do you want? etc.. Whats more important, handling or outright straight line speed?
I thought you were getting a Primera? TBH they are quite thirsty.

Last edited:
not a gt anyway lol got a quote just before it went boom and it was for £1400 3rd party, checked again about a month later and it shot up to about £1900 including a £500 excess

That's just insurance. That's how it is. You won't find a 'fast' car that's cheap to ensure. It's either get the car and pay the insurance or get a cheapy.

TBH I don't think whatever you are looking exists, just buy whatever is cheap and safe, decent on fuel and half decent to drive, 306 Dturbo comes to mind or e36 325tds.

i like the look of the 1.6 with 90hp, same as the dturbo, the standard diesel only produces 70hp but the 1.4 petrol produces 75hp, all do 0-60 in less than 14 seconds

The 1.9 XUD is a hell of alot easier to tune than the petrol.
You can get free hp out of the tractor whereas you'd have to spend to get anything out of the petrol.

There is a full explanation on you tube. Basically you need to turn a screw on the pump. Get the right one and you can run it on veg oil ...bonus lol