The best 2nd Car ?

Simsy

Car
Renault Clio 1.2
Hi, I’m 18 and have been driving for a year and a bit now, I currently drive a Renault Clio 1.2 which does the job but I’m looking to purchase a second car which is easy to modify and also relatively cheap and reliable any suggestions will be massively appreciated :)

Hello and welcome young man |B

It would be good to know if the modded car will be driven on the roads or what you intend to do with it for starters Daily driver ,race ,rally burnout , drifting , drag etc

I see you have been driving for a year now but with my background as an advanced and defensive instructor I have to ask if you have had any additional instruction or training over the last 12 months.

I know that most young newly licenced drivers tend to develop bad habits fast and think they know it all and want to be and look cool but the most important thing is the person behind the wheel and their attitude and willingness to learn the best way to drive to reach a ripe old age.

Thanks for the reply it means a lot,

I’m mainly going to be using the car to get me to work and back whilst going out some nights to car meets etc with mates,

I’ve had no additional training since gaining my license.

I don’t plan on being stupid with the car I get I’m just ready for the upgrade I so desperately need.

I’m looking for a car that is known for being reliable whilst having a good reputation within the car community if you know of any please let me know !

Are you aware of what comprehensive insurance for someone of your age with little driving history with a modified car ?
Suggest doing some homework before doing any mods BEFORE modding and then looking to get it covered.

I am aware of this but I’m looking to get a car that I can add mods to overtime, I just don’t know which cars that will be possible for in the future.

For example my mate has an Audi a1 and he is adding stuff to it all the time. I’ve been looking at BMW 1 series and Audi a3’s but sometimes the food focus’s and Honda civic’s catch my eye

I need guidance in what path to choose

I am aware of this but I’m looking to get a car that I can add mods to overtime, I just don’t know which cars that will be possible for in the future.

For example my mate has an Audi a1 and he is adding stuff to it all the time. I’ve been looking at BMW 1 series and Audi a3’s but sometimes the food focus’s and Honda civic’s catch my eye

I need guidance in what path to choose

You sound like a clear headed young man so please listen to and absorb and take on board what I am about to say.

I can't tell you strongly enough that you MUST keep your insurer fully informed of any mod no matter how insignificant it may seem to you and get their approval IN WRITING as they need to know exactly they are being asked to insure.

IF YOU FAIL TO DO THIS AND SAY REAR END A HI END OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF VEHICLE YOU CAN AND WILL BE UP S##T CREEK when your insurer declines your claim.

PS I love BMW's as well as my Type R Honda that I track .

Yeah my Dad has told me over and over again that I have to tell my insurer if I were to get any type of mod on my cars and I do understand this message. I just don’t know what car to choose.

Yeah my Dad has told me over and over again that I have to tell my insurer if I were to get any type of mod on my cars and I do understand this message. I just don’t know what car to choose.

Dad's right but don't do the mod and then tell the insurer as they may decline to keep you covered That is why I always advise people of all ages to get permission first.

I tend to go for a 1 series Beamer but always buy by condition and have it thoroughly checked over before handing over your hard earned cash.

If you like FWD I suggest a Honda DC5 Type R or an EP3 as the prices are rising over here.

The VW range are pretty good, that includes SEAT AUDI AND SKODA, all have good engine options and great upgrade options. The 2.0TDi is a dream, I think the Skoda Fabias and Superbs have really cheap insurance but are just as quick as the VW or Audi equivalents, so might be a low cost entry to faster cars for you.

The older 1.8T engine is one of my favourites, and pulls like a train.