Best car to tune up and modify

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you were starting out on a car tuning project which car would you choose and why?

What sort of mods would you be planning to do to this car?

Well, I wouldn't choose something that everyone else is doing as that is too easy and lazy.

I wouldn't choose a modern car either, as they are too complicated.

Maybe a Hillman Imp. Or an Austin 1100 or even an Allegro. :)

TR8 if I had the time to start over again or an Opel Cadet (called a Gemini over here. Had a 1800 twin Webbered one that was so easy to drive sideways and sold it to buy the Starion.) There is a single cam 8 valve one that does 9's and have wondered if I should ever have sold it as my engine builder is a Gemini guru.

i always think i had unfinished business with my old nova sr and also my mg zr, the sr i always wanted to c20let convert it and make it a real track weapon.

the mg zr i had throttle bodies and it put out 192bhp doesnt sound a great deal but it really did perform well and i could of got it upto around 210-215bhp with a bit more work, but what i really wanted to do is a bespoke k series turbo conversion which would of seen some interesting challenges trail and error etc, ideally a final output of around 250-280bhp.

if i could buy any car now to put my touch to it would have to be a fiesta rs turbo but ideally not go too mad with it as these are becoming very rare now and a good investment. so just basic stage 1 mods stainless system/chip/air filter. would concentrate on preserving the car

I think like Steve & Rad I would go old school, maybe an old mk2 Jag saloon or a Jensen Interceptor but with state of the art running gear.

There's a nice Morris Minor near us that has a Fiat 2.0 Twin cam engine and modded running gear. Only give away is the size of tyres and exhaust. That would be quite a project to take on.
Most Japanese car's have a large following of modifiers especially with all the different sports like drifting, drag, time attack, GT racing etc to follow.
Personally I would of liked to have continued with my 944 turbo, enlarging the capacity to 2.8 or even 3.2 ltr but you're looking at a £20000+ build just for the engine then trying to get the car to transfer that torque to the road was just too much for my meagre funds. It's been done though and there's 8 car's I know of with a 3.2 conversion. A 968 turbo S recreation would be awesome as Porsche only made 4.