Auto gearboxes :-(

drifter1988

Car
Merc 190e
hI GUYS i DRIVE A W201 190E 89 WHICH IS AUTO DUE TO MY DISABILITY. i DROVE MANUAL IN THE PAST WHICH I REALLY ENJOYED UNTIL I GOT MY FULL LICENCE WHICH THE INSTRUCTOR INSISTED I GET AN AUTO WHICH WAS DOWN TO CONTROL DUE TO MY HAND CONTROLS I NEED. NOT BECAUSE OF RIDING CLUTCH ETC. JUST WONDERING MY CARS 1.8. I KNOW I CAN DO EXHAUST AND MAKE IT LIGHTER. BUT REGARDS TO CAMS , LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL , CARBO DRIVESHAFT ETC. i KNOW AN AUTO BOX ISNT REALLY UPTO THE JOB IN SOME SETUPS. CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME OUT. I AM GONNA RESIT MY TEST AN TOUCH WOOD IT'LL BE DIFFERENT/

hey and welcome

cams wil still be the same as they are part of the engine.
flywheel i dont think really exist in autos
carbo driveshaft ? are you meaning carbon ? if so then id look at buying a new car as those are serious money.
one of the guys on here was looking at getting one and found it was going to cost in the region of £2k. custom made one in steel was £200

Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
Hope you enjoy your time with us.

Did the 190 Cosworth come with an auto box?
I thought they all had dogleg boxes?

Hi guys i seen 1-2 2.6 autos. I am afraid to buy this engine because as its over 20yrs old i wont be quoted on insurance until the car is in my posession as with my 9 1.8 i bought it blind as far as insurance goes. And unfortunately there not over the 30yr mark to achieve the €48 tax. Do you guys know max bhp from 1.8 auto 190e ?

I'd imagine it's about 110-115 bhp. Reasonable for its era and they drive pretty well inspite of not being particularly powerful. Merc's engines have always been punchy with a good spread of usable torque.

Even the early 1990's 300D (not turbocharged) gave a very good account of itself.