Gearboxes?

ben

Road Burner
Car
Focus 1.6 Zetec
I'll put it in context...

Say for example you were doing an engine swap, how do you know a gear box will work well with/be compatable chosen engine?

I think this is best described with an example. I have a Honda Civic EJ6. The engine is a D16Y7 and the gearbox is built to work with that engine. Sometime in the (hopefully near) future I will swapping in a B18C from an Integra Type R. The gearbox from the Integra Type R is built to handle and make best of the B18C so when doing the engine conversion the gearbox from the Integra Type R is needed as well. Hopefully that helps, but I'm sure some of the others will drop by to explain it further.

It makes sense, how certain gearboxes are made to get the most out of certain engines, all these numbers confuse me though :p

best thing to do is get the gearbox with the engiene
it just saves bother in the long run

put a weaker box than your supposed to wont last long

The key thing is matching the power bands to the gearing.

You want to be changing gear near the top of the power band and need the next gear to be just inside the power band.

If the gears are too close you will be changing up more often and if they are too wide it will take longer to build up your speed. There is an optimum balance.

Modern engines have pretty wide power bands and it seems accepted that 6 gears is the optimal number for a powerful modern engine.

Taking an engine swap as an example you would be ok with the standard gearbox unless you change the power band. If the whole band increases it is fine but if you have moved the peak power up the rev range you will get dead spots and unsteady acceleration.