At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
And that is for only half the thread. The old forum couldn't cope well with long threads so we split it. Thankfully the new one can more than cope with really long threads.

This is probably the most hotly anticipated project on here!

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Elan leaving DC Electronics after completion of wiring. Once I have connected everything up, bolted everything down and tightened everything up, programmed the PDM and loaded a basic MAP on to the ECU, we can look at starting the engine. And before anyone asks, no onlookers will be welcome :)

elan leaving DCe 120918.jpg

Had my first walk around the car since getting it back from DCe, making a list of jobs still to do. Probably missed a lot but this is something to work on
:) Steve

Secure intercooler
Modify radiator brackets to allow repositioning.
Fit air filter box
Finish air intake pipework
Fit header tank pipes
Get header tank filler cap
New pipe from overflow bottle to header tank.
Make new exhaust heat shields in CF
Fit wiper motor (either fix original or replace)
Finish front bulkhead and add heat shield material
Finish engine bay bodywork
Secure and adjust steering rack/rod ends for bump steer
Finish front clip
Fit injector rail and injectors
Connect up loom. Adjust position and wire lengths where necessary
Repostion ECU support bracket
Fit dash cover and cut hole for access
Fit screen wash jets and piping
Weld in additional roll cage tubing behind seats
Fit roll cage cushioning
Fit interior panels
Make doors and glass
Secure glove box door
Secure switch panel
Secure centre console and tidy up edges
Make front screen
Make and fit new roof and rear screen
Sort out fire supression system
Fit EGT and Lamda sensors
Fit oil filler cap
Get and fit plug leads
Fit plugs
Secure fuel tank and nitrous bottle
Get new electric bottle opener (or fix old one)
Fit fuel filler cap
Fit rear lamps
Finish droop limiters
Tighten ALL nuts and bolts, marking as I go.
Door locks and hinges
Get seat belts and fit
Parachute bracket
Under floor trays, side splitters and strakes
Rear view mirror
Fit and wire up remote tyre temp sensors
Change front springs
Make new radiator bottom hose
Fit hose clips to header tank hoses and secure
Fit exhaust box and cover
Fit heat shield material behind exhaust box
Fit boot
Bond in floors
Bolt on exhaust manifold and turbo
Fit turbo support strut
Reposition alternator/battery cable
Repostion loom through bulkhead and fit grommets/covers
Final fit of loom, adjusting wire lengths where necessary
Connect battery
Sort out wheels and tyres

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Made all of the underfloor panels, just need to cut rear section to size. Next task is how to secure them. Decided to bolt them on so had to make threaded inserts to glue into the existing carbon floor plus washers to stop the screws pulling through the thin panels.

I hate making more than one of anything but I need around 30! Oh, well, Spoon & Elephant to the rescue again :) Photos shows how they will work. They will be cleaned up prior to fitting :)

20180919_160419.jpg

20180919_160225.jpg

20180920_182419.jpg

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Front and central underfloor aero sections in position. Next task is to fit the fasteners. After that I need to add some additional sections to cover the holes between the front tyres and existing floor.

front and central undertrays in postition 230918.jpg

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
One has to admire your seemingly boundless enthusiasm for making whatever is needed |B

Hopefully we all will finally get to see the result of many years of hard work with you having achieved your goal of having "The Worlds Fastest Lotus Elan" :)

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
You spend 6 hours working on your car but it looks no different from when you started. Spent the day securing the underfloor aero panels. This entailed drilling and gluing in the top hat nuts I made a few days ago. Still a fair bit of work to be done to tidy up the visible section of the floor as well as fitting the strakes to the panels and fixing the side splitters and skirts. Also secured the front wheel speed sensor wires by passing them through the top wishbones. Added a couple of tabs to assist in locating the front clip. Adjusted the straps on the front aero panel so it fitted snugly to the splitter.

fastening underfloor aero 250918 (8).jpg fastening underfloor aero 250918 (6).jpg fastening underfloor aero 250918 (10).jpg fastening underfloor aero 250918 (9).jpg fastening underfloor aero 250918 (11).jpg fastening underfloor aero 250918 (7).jpg fastening underfloor aero 250918 (4).jpg fastening underfloor aero 250918 (3).jpg fastening underfloor aero 250918 (2).jpg

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Working on the car today I discovered that gravity is stronger the nearer to the ground you get. Getting down on the ground to fit the underfloor aero panels isn't a problem. However, getting back up is a lot harder. Not something I noticed when I was young so I can only assume that over years the gravitational pull of the earth has increased at floor level.

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
Yes I know exactly about the effect of gravity on the ageing body:( and that's 1 of the reasons that I am selling my Starion that has been a love/hate affair for the last 26 years:)

Steve you need to stop taking all those iron pills and it will be easier to resist the force of gravity's magnetic pull :rofl:

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Yes I know exactly about the effect of gravity on the ageing body:( and that's 1 of the reasons that I am selling my Starion that has been a love/hate affair for the last 26 years:)

Steve you need to stop taking all those iron pills and it will be easier to resist the force of gravity's magnetic pull :rofl:
So, what are you replacing it with, if anything? Are you retiring?

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
So, what are you replacing it with, if anything? Are you retiring?
Can you explain that retiring thing you mention ? o_O

Hoping to upgrade to a Honda FN2 Type R 2009-2011 model that has a Torsen LSD from the factory where it was built over your way so I can enter events and compete in some way for a few more years.|B

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Looking for more ways to reduce weight, I started to attack the locks. Doing away with the door handles and lightening or replacing what remains with carbon fibre. Replaced latch cover with a CF version and also the rods connecting interior door opening handle and the latch.

door lock drilled 071118.jpg

carbon door lock cover 051118.jpg

20181106_154221.jpg
20181106_154238.jpg

Made a prototype door button. Need to fit to car along with the latch to finalise design.

door push button081118 (1).jpg

door push button081118 (2).jpg

door push button081118 (3).jpg
This work will remove over a Kg. Also replacing OEM wiper motor with the rear screen motor from a Fiat Punto. Weighs 1.5kg less. Also converting to single wiper. Just need to reduce swept angle from 180 to 100 degrees.

fitting wiper motor 311018 (4).jpg

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
Glad to see that you are still beavering away at weight loss and still as anal as ever and I am sure you could have taught Colin a few things about weight loss :) |B

PS how's the drivers diet going?

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Glad to see that you are still beavering away at weight loss and still as anal as ever and I am sure you could have taught Colin a few things about weight loss :) |B

PS how's the drivers diet going?
Colin, Colin who? :)

On hold until after Christmas.

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
Wasn't it some chap named Colin way back who built a sports car or 3 that said something like "to go faster add lightness" and that a motor only had to last until the finish ??

Christmas is also my problem as I love her indoors home made puddings<B as it's just so hard to stop at 1 slice

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Wasn't it some chap named Colin way back who built a sports car or 3 that said something like "to go faster add lightness" and that a motor only had to last until the finish ??

Christmas is also my problem as I love her indoors home made puddings<B as it's just so hard to stop at 1 slice
Also never take a washer for a free ride :)

One slice can be any size you cut :)

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
Enough of this nonsense and get back to work :lol: as we all want 2019 to be the year when " The Worlds Fastest Elan" title is won :)

PS I seem to recall that you told me "after Christmas " last year :rofl:

Last edited:

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I bought a tripod for my phone and decided to check it out. There was no plan to post the result but then I thought, what the hell, why not? :)

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Testing the heavy duty double sided tape used to secure the rare earth magnets to the glove box cover. I attached a suitcase weighing scale to the cover to see how much force was required to pull it off - 5kg

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Surprised that the glove box is still in place given your OCD when it comes to weight reduction ;) :lol:
It gave me access to the battery and PMD. Coupled with the removable switch panel I had planned to use these orifices to access all of the electronics and other gubbins behind the dash. However, as more stuff than I expected is now there I would need to retrain as a gynaecologist in order to access everything through these openings. I have therefore redesigned the dash top so that most of it is removable, vastly improving access. Although this makes the cover superfluous I will probably keep it as there is a lot of blood sweat and tears tied up in it and I like it :). Also, it balances out the dash, aesthetically, IMO :) The Computer/ECU interface is behind the cover so that would have to be resited if I did away with the cover.