RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
I today put a deposit down on.....

... a Diesel..!! The fuel of the Devil will be burn't by me soon. :embarrest:

I today put a deposit down on.....

... a Diesel..!! The fuel of the Devil will be burn't by me soon. :embarrest:

That was my first guess when I saw the title of the post - the Derv phobic bloke has gone and bought a Devil's car.

Question is: WHY?

I like modern derv cars for the midrange slam (by midrange I don't mean between 10 and 30mph by the way).

Hopefully you're not expecting 65mpg because if you are (and you achieve it) then you've bought the wrong car.

What are you getting?

I'm part exchanging my 4.4i V8 Petrol Range Rover Sport for a new-shape 3.6 TDV8. I drove it and its not even comparable. The torque from the TDV8 shoves this 2.7 tonne tank forwards much faster than the petrol....

.... and that's before I've remapped it and added another 65bhp + 110Nm torque.

That and I am sick of 14.9mpg out of the Petrol.

I'm part exchanging my 4.4i V8 Petrol Range Rover Sport for a new-shape 3.6 TDV8. I drove it and its not even comparable. The torque from the TDV8 shoves this 2.7 tonne tank forwards much faster than the petrol....

.... and that's before I've remapped it and added another 65bhp + 110Nm torque.

That and I am sick of 14.9mpg out of the Petrol.

Diesel has grown up a lot and I think it's a good choice of car. Torque is king in my book and now that diesel does revs pretty confidently as well there's no reason to say no.

With a little bit of restraint (not too much restraint, mind, keep your priorities right :) :) ) you'll likely get around 30mpg reliably even from such a hefty piece of machinery.

Diesel has grown up a lot and I think it's a good choice of car. Torque is king in my book and now that diesel does revs pretty confidently as well there's no reason to say no.

With a little bit of restraint (not too much restraint, mind, keep your priorities right :) :) ) you'll likely get around 30mpg reliably even from such a hefty piece of machinery.

Cheers. 640Nm stock, but can be lifted to 750Nm quite easily. I'll let you know how its doing with regards to fuel economy. I'm going to stick a V-Switch on it and have Stock, Eco and Performance maps - do a bit of research.

Cheers. 640Nm stock, but can be lifted to 750Nm quite easily. I'll let you know how its doing with regards to fuel economy. I'm going to stick a V-Switch on it and have Stock, Eco and Performance maps - do a bit of research.

I would be very interested to hear the results Rob, keep us informed!

Diesel makes a heap of sense for big cars, it can push them along just as well if not better as a large petrol engine at probably twice the mpg.

I wouldnt want a diesel hot hatch but I'd definitely have one in a big saloon or 4x4.

Talk about going over to the dark side. I hope you have lots of fun with it. Are the repairs finished on your RS4?

I take back everything I said about Diesels... although in stock Land Rover form I must admit the engine lacked any sort of excitement. I can't get over how seriously de-tuned it is. Stock its pretty gutless above 3k and suffers pretty horrific turbo lag below 2k. It only had a 1000rpm party piece.

Remapped it late this afternoon and my god... i'm stunned at the continual surge of never-ending power. It wafts along and its only when you look at the speedo do you realize quite how rapidly 800Nm can push 2.7 tonnes towards the horizon.

Sounds awesome Rob I can't imagine what 800nm torques is like.

I wonder what would happen if that engine found it's way into something lighter say, 1000kg's. :amuse:

Sounds awesome Rob I can't imagine what 800nm torques is like.

I wonder what would happen if that engine found it's way into something lighter say, 1000kg's. :amuse:

I'll get my spanners and me coat and we'll find out :lol:

im not a diesel fan but the way the fuel prices are creeping, sorry SHOOTING UP it might be the way to, that why i bought a clio 172 cup :lol:

im not a diesel fan but the way the fuel prices are creeping, sorry SHOOTING UP it might be the way to, that why i bought a clio 172 cup :lol:

RB's 3.6 Range Rover would flatten your Clio in performance terms. But don't go diesel for economy alone, there can be some surprises with maintenance if you keep your cars for a long time.

Whatever we drive we're going to be taxed to the eyeballs I'm afraid.

i know the range rover would kill me, just pointing out how sensible im being with the petrol prices :lol: plus my clio is like a lil rocket only driven it once but i loved every second of it

i know the range rover would kill me, just pointing out how sensible im being with the petrol prices :lol: plus my clio is like a lil rocket only driven it once but i loved every second of it

Strangely I do like high performance diesels yet I've gone back to petrol in the interests of long term ownership costs generally being lower with petrol.

I'm now in a BMW 528i which is nowhere near as quick as the remapped Pug 2.2 HDi (but it's still pretty lively, all the same) and it still manages 30-40mpg on a motorway run.

But being a naturally aspirated straight 6 petrol engine, without the complexities of diesel injection etc etc. it's likely to be a reasonable ownership prospect. ;)