Sitting with the engine on

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Why do people sit for ages in traffic jams with their engines on? I also can't see the point of using the clutch to roll the car forward a few feet every minute or so. It just all seems like extra wear and tear to me.

Besides if drivers tried to keep moving even if really slow the whole need to stop in jams would be almost eliminated.

If stopped in traffic for a long time I switch off, but if winter it stays on to keep the cab warm! If rolling traffic jam I idle along, hate stop starts in the Disco as heavy clutch.

The engine would only ever be switched off if stuck in very heavy traffic with only a 1/4 tank of fuel left, in the beast that is practically empty :embarrest:

I never sit in traffic in gear, always knocked into neutral, saves not only the leg muscles but also the slave and/or master cylinder from premature wear. Had to tell the wife off for that one! She knackered her MGF slave because she is/was lazy.

Gotta say i am guilty of leaving the engine running and moving forward as required even if only a few feet,but will put into neutral if waiting time permits!.

I tend to leave it until there's a few car lengths to take up before rolling forward. obviously if there's a long queue behind that might cover a junction I'll move and close up sooner.