Are the old adages true?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
"You get what you pay for" and "if its worth doing its worth doing right" are the two adages in discussion here.

Do you think this applies to cars? Are there any exeptions to the rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, use cheap parts they arnt going to perform as well.
best thing to look at tyres. chep ones have little grip and last no time, mid priced have a mix of the two, and expensve generally have great grip but sometime less life

"if its worth doing its worth doing right" - definately true when you are fixing your own motor, my old man used to drive me crazy with this but the most annoying thing was he is right - if yuo are going to do something then spend the time and do it properly, a rush job normally ends up meaning it has to be done again much sooner than would otherwise be needed.

It does apply to cars, probably as much as any other scenario. Do something half cocked in a car and you will pay dearly sooner rather than later.

"if its worth doing its worth doing right" - definately true when you are fixing your own motor, my old man used to drive me crazy with this but the most annoying thing was he is right - if yuo are going to do something then spend the time and do it properly, a rush job normally ends up meaning it has to be done again much sooner than would otherwise be needed.

not only that but you may wind up having to fix two or three other things cause you didn't want to take your time the first time. im guilty of that, did a rush job on a top end rebuild and wound up blowing my head gasket and redoing the whole thing from the ground up instead of just the basics. sucks when you gotta pull the engine guts just to get water out of your cylinders.

I guess the common one is using the old water or oil pump on a rebuild which then fails shortly after the car is put back on the road! :eek: