spark plugins? how true?

charger69

Pro Tuner
Car
Opel Corsa B X14XE
how true is that htey raise the BHP of the car? in like between 1 and 3 BHP plus?
if ya know something about it, let me know what make and which spark plugins are those?

I think you lose power with bad plugs. You either get a good strong spark and good flame front or none at all from what I read. Some people widen their gaps for a bigger spark but Im not sure if this gives you better power.

i've been hearing stuff like they do.... never thought of this....
what do the company that produce these parts say?
and what do people say from their experience?

you cant really raise bhp with plugs, they really only make the car run more smooth
having good plugs along with other mods makes the car run at peak performance

Poor plugs can rough up a petrol engine. Clean new ones should suffice. If you're running very high compression then you need a hotter plug (strangely this means that they run cooler!) to resist thermal damage.

Poor plugs can rough up a petrol engine. Clean new ones should suffice. If you're running very high compression then you need a hotter plug (strangely this means that they run cooler!) to resist thermal damage.
i didnt know that, thats why plugs go different coulor from use

black = carbon build up = good
brown = burning too lean = not good
white = burning too hot = not good at all

i think thats what they are anyway, just check them when servicing to see whats what, if their not black, you probably have the wrong plug and shouldn replace with the same brand of plug

Use THIS as your guide, Sorry but it's far simpler than sitting here typing it all out.
There are some rather varied interpretations here of what is the correct colouring !;)

thats not right, black is a good sign, white or grey and brown are all bad
the plug should be black from use

white is too hot, brown is too lean

Sorry prevtec, but you are totally wrong. If you're plugs are black then your car is running too rich or the plugs are too 'hot' for its modest level of tune. Or, maybe, it's just not seeing enough high temperature driving.

You do not want to be seeing sooty deposits on the plugs. worse still, you don't want oily wet ones.

If your sparkers are black after a short period of use (ie 1000-2000 miles) then perhaps consider other things.

Is the air intake temp too low; do you do loads of short trips and no long ones; are you brutal with the engine shortly after startup when it's cold?

The Honda VTEC engines use oil pressure to activate the high lift cam followers when you use the engine's full rev range (up to 8500+ IIRC).

In short, they should not be black

don't trash what is a pleasant 4 cylinder petrol engine.

Sorry prevtec, but you are totally wrong. If you're plugs are black then your car is running too rich or the plugs are too 'hot' for its modest level of tune. Or, maybe, it's just not seeing enough high temperature driving.

You do not want to be seeing sooty deposits on the plugs. worse still, you don't want oily wet ones.

If your sparkers are black after a short period of use (ie 1000-2000 miles) then perhaps consider other things.

Is the air intake temp too low; do you do loads of short trips and no long ones; are you brutal with the engine shortly after startup when it's cold?

The Honda VTEC engines use oil pressure to activate the high lift cam followers when you use the engine's full rev range (up to 8500+ IIRC).

In short, they should not be black

don't trash what is a pleasant 4 cylinder petrol engine.
i dont plan on doing so mate
just saw the article, my plugs are black from use, but they dont ever be sutty, and certainly not oily, and my engine runs like a dream, dont burn any oil and peformance wise, its top of its game

when you say concider different things, i was thinking am i using the wrong plug?

i use a bosch 4 point plug, but the normal plug for them is the denzo
could this be the case??,
ps the garage told me that the plugs were fine when i showed them, take note that they werent wet or sutty

If the garage says their fine then they are fine I would say. Especially so given no problems with the car.

This is sometimes down to definitions and usage of words. After all, black brown, grey and white are only names for things.

It would sometimes be better to be colourblind thus removing the ambiguity.

Post up a pic under daylight (no flash or artificial lights and let's have a look.

Those Bosch 4 point cathode plugs are supposed to be superb - they should last 50,000 miles or more so make sure the garage doesn't change 'em too often!

Cheers,

Rgds,

Paul.

i find their a great plug, thankfully i can service my own car so i put the right stuff in to it, i also change plugs every service (no need i know) just so it completes a full service