Are older drivers safer than younger ones

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that older drivers safer than younger ones?

Where do the lines get drawn in your opinion? At what point do older drivers start to get dangerous again?

Shouldn't dangerous old drivers with slow reflexes, immobile necks and poor vision pay more than young new drivers? Which is more dangerous?

The following stats were drawn from insurance premium tables....

Dangerous ----Safer --- incredibly safe ---- risky ---- Dangerous
----17-21----- 22-27 --------- 27-60 ----------- 60-75 ----- 75-90

Incredibly safe? That doesn't sound like an insurance phrase.

I am now risky :)

I would have thought that younger drivers have higher speed crashes than older people.

Much worse crashes caused by young blokes crazed on testosterone than by old blokes doing 40 in a 30.

Proves what I've always said though - kids, especially boys, should be buried at 11 and dug up at 30.

Apparently while the stagea was on the road I was incredibly safe but now it isnt I'm considered risky
hmmmmm........

"kids, especially boys, should be buried at 11 and dug up at 30." Very apt. Like it.

As far as safety goes we can only be guided by insurance claim data. Clearly these figures only indicate the probability of an accident based purely upon historical data.

I am not sure that I see 60-75 as risky to be honest but I can only speak of the drivers I know who are in that age bracket.

My father-in-law is 81 yet his perception is far better than [that of] many people my own age.

Last edited:
:eek: I'm in the dangerous category .V(

I encounter drivers of all ages that I would rate as dangerous ranging from young tearaways thru to hesitant seniors and certain ethnics driving BMW,Volvo and MB's who seem be very slow to get moving at the lights and fearful of accelerating briskly and 200 metres up the road they are 150 metres behind the car in front that has not broken traction when leaving the lights and tend to be mobile road blocks almost every time I venture out on the Queens highway :(

:eek: I'm in the dangerous category .V(

Stuff & Nonsense! I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that you are infinitely a better driver than I Rad ;) This is all based on UK driving perceptions and conditions in relation to the prized muppets we have here on the Queens highway! :D

Stuff & Nonsense! I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that you are infinitely a better driver than I Rad ;)

Os you are just way too modest and just a young wippersnapper IMO
I see myself as a work in progress when behind the wheel and rate my ability as a 6 out of a possible 10.

Last edited:
Present company here doesn't stop learning. All good. Not sure what the Queen's [Queens for clarity as written here] highway is. Also not sure what we mean by 'certain ethnics'.

What definition of ethnic are we using?

HDI I feel sure that you must have encountered motorists from other countries that drive in the way I described ;)

HDI I feel sure that you must have encountered motorists from other countries that drive in the way I described ;)

I do. Much as I equally encounter motorists who are bog ordinary standard plain British that can't think for themselves.

I choose not to differentiate on ethnic grounds alone. Or at all even. Whether or not we're talking about driving standards.

This is a multi faith, multi cultural and multi racial world. I happen to like it this way.

I agree that there are locals over here/everywhere that "can't think for themselves" but it seems that some people born overseas that have learned to drive in different circumstances tend to drive the same way when they move to another country and IMO they would benefit greatly if they were to have further instruction/training.

I most certainly wood if I moved to another country.

But then aren't we all "good drivers" and it's everybody else that are bad drivers??

I agree that there are locals over here/everywhere that "can't think for themselves" but it seems that some people born overseas that have learned to drive in different circumstances tend to drive the same way when they move to another country and IMO they would benefit greatly if they were to have further instruction/training.

I most certainly wood if I moved to another country.

But then aren't we all "good drivers" and it's everybody else that are bad drivers??

Plenty of drivers born here who seem incapable of conscious thought. Regardless of their ethnicity or of their race.

:rofl: @ you two

:oops: Should have used spell check so I don't embarrass myself when in company of far more highly educated people .V(

Time to lighten up so did I forget to mention that we are all great lovers as well :lol:

Last edited:
Mornin'
I make no apologies for the fact that I am vehemently anti-racist.
I do, however, apologise to TCJ - his point about ethnics or ethnicity is not prejudice on his part, it's purely based upon his observation and experience. Sorry mate, I was out of order there.

Much appreciated HDI |B

I am of the belief that by simply mentioning a race as a means of identifying where the problem lies does not in any way shape or form make me a racist.

Os your "wise old Uncle T9" title is spot on IMO |B|B

Last edited:
Much appreciated HDI |B

I am of the belief that by simply mentioning a race as a means of identifying where the problem lies does not in any way shape or form make me a racist.

Os your "wise old Uncle T9" title is spot on IMO |B|B

You didn't mention a specific race. Hence my open and unreserved apology.
Where lies the problem though?

What does risky mean do I have to sell my fast car now or can I wait until im Dangerous. What a load of tosh is my verdict. There will be a time when im past it for my best friend that's happened at 77 (he has Parkinsons) for me that will be around 107 as I still have a very big need for speed. Maybe you need to go to Insurance companies that don't use tosh to set premiums. Ive just renewed mine upped my claimed Power from 840 to 940 & got a £200 decrease in the premium don't think my company see me as a risk.

What does risky mean do I have to sell my fast car now or can I wait until im Dangerous. What a load of tosh is my verdict. There will be a time when im past it for my best friend that's happened at 77 (he has Parkinsons) for me that will be around 107 as I still have a very big need for speed. Maybe you need to go to Insurance companies that don't use tosh to set premiums. Ive just renewed mine upped my claimed Power from 840 to 940 & got a £200 decrease in the premium don't think my company see me as a risk.

Exactly and a very well made point. We have to consider that insurance stats are merely compiled from anonymous data, they do not reflect individual drivers at all. Your insurers are realistic. As are most.

No one is saying that any one driver is safer or more dangerous than any other. There are people my age paying huge premiums, and rightly so. They have been involved in collisions in which blame has been attributed to them.

The stats aren't generally used to set premiums. Individual circumstances play by far the biggest part.