Are cars more secure

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I see more and more cars coming with immobilisers and alarms and there don't seem to be as many after market systems about.

Do you think cars are more secure now or do you still prefer to add your own security?

It's worrying that houses are now being broken into so thieves can steal the keys to take the car.

Do you think that car crime has gone down, or stayed the same despite these extra advances in security?

Do you think that car alarms work? I think most people will ignore them unless they are going off at night.

Now you come to mention it I don't either. I did in the A3 as it went off whenever it was hot or when the local cat jumped on it! In summer I turned the internal proximity sensor off.

yup i know what mines sounds like, forgot to switch off the internal sensor while i had a kid in the back.

sounds the same as the wifes which goes off everytime someone looks at it funny

I would say they are far more secure, without a lift or trailer it is near impossible to steal a modern car without they keys, and even then once you have it without a lot of workshop and computer facilities to replace the keys the car will only be good for parts.
Im not sure if car theft is going down, more the methods are changing and breakins for keys are becoming more common, i actually have my spare keys very very well hidden now.

Mine will go off quite easyily :embarrest:

She gets loanly out on the drive way by herself and sometimes gets scared by the wind :embarrest: Bless her. I come and beep her and she goes back to sleep

The usual classic for this is when someone forgets to close all the air vents, or they have magic trees or similar swinging in the breeze while waiting for the ultrasonic sensors to pick up the movement :embarrest:

Close all the air vents? Never heard of that? Does that stop the alarm going off? :confused:

Air vents left open brings the air in from outside and can move things like magic trees etc, the ultrasonics pick this up as movement and sounds the alarms apparently. Similarly you should not have this type of smelly in the car because if the car rocks due to a strong wind this too sets of the ultrasonics.

Seems like no one wants to nick mine the state it's in, no door lock on drivers side (knocked it out with hammer and chisel when I lost the only key).

dash open and ingntion barel dangling down with wires open to the world, parked under a street light for everyone to see :)

Must be the nice middle class neighbourhood in which I reside ha ha.

For someone who likes gadets suprisingly Im not a great fan of all these "all singing and dancing" modern alarms

The way I see it alarms have two functions -
1 vibration /entry ......... to me this isnt much use even if they go off no one usually bothers and by then its often too late anyway

2 The immobiliser part ........A useful thing but its easy to sort this without paying a fortune for something that often drains the battery . Quite important as I dont drive the stagea every week.

I dont have an specific alarm on the stagea :shock: but..............

When I leave it anywhere for any length of time I just disconnect the fuel pump (it has its own seperate circuit) and I turn the launch control to zero .
I always do the latter whenever I leave the car.

Even someone hardwires the pump (unlikely) it starts but wont rev or pull away and makes a seriously loud noise popping back as it limits the revs.

A lot of expensive cars are now stolen to order. Often the theives break into the house just to get the keys and then simply drive off.

So even with the keys mine cant be driven off - but I do keep them safe as a precaution.