Advice needed replacing car carpets

prevtec

Pro Tuner
Car
prelude 2.2vtec jap
my car is actually very clean, you would never say its 15 years old,
to be honest, not even 5 years old
but i want to put red carpet in to it, i always had a thing for red since the type r

has anyone done something like this before?????

i dont have a proplem removing the interior as ive done it alredy to clean the car before
what i need to know is, is there a knack to putting in new carpet
and how would you get a profesional job, doing it yourself
i will be buying a certain amount of carpet so i will have to cut it to size myself

any advise is greatly apprieciated
thank you in advance

Re: some advise needed

depending on the car you might be able to find a premolded carpet kit. what that does is, the manufacture basically takes one of your car and creates a mold then fits the carpet to it. makes it alot easier for the hump and bumps in most cars. you will have to by the padding for it. all and all for my truck (84 gmc suburban) i was looking at around $350 plus shipping for a kit and padding. for a prelude depending on the year you would be looking at around $125 plus shipping and padding. I found some here for you.

it should, from what i have seen most cars are built identical when it comes to the flooring on both sides. i know in my z there were punchouts for sterring and the pedals on the passenger side, so all you would need to do is either cut em or drill em to convert it. might be different with the prelude but should be similiar. will keep looking for a japanese distributor.

*just called the company and according to them, the kit with fit either side drive cars.

Last edited:

Don't be tempted to use household carpet. Especially the rubber backed stuff.

Sounds like a good option to get a proper kit. Have you thought about just going with some good quality mats? It would be cheaper and easier and give you the "new car smell"?

Part of the problem is the carpet need holes cut and it doesn't follow a flat profile so it will sag instead of hugging the bends.

Don't be tempted to use household carpet. Especially the rubber backed stuff.

Sounds like a good option to get a proper kit. Have you thought about just going with some good quality mats? It would be cheaper and easier and give you the "new car smell"?

Part of the problem is the carpet need holes cut and it doesn't follow a flat profile so it will sag instead of hugging the bends.
i know what you mean, my ex employer done it with home made stuff and it looked #!#!#!#!

depending on the car you might be able to find a premolded carpet kit. what that does is, the manufacture basically takes one of your car and creates a mold then fits the carpet to it. makes it alot easier for the hump and bumps in most cars. you will have to by the padding for it. all and all for my truck (84 gmc suburban) i was looking at around $350 plus shipping for a kit and padding. for a prelude depending on the year you would be looking at around $125 plus shipping and padding. I found some here for you.
thanks man, its better alright i go with a pre molded carpet
it makes sense really, and theres no cutting involved either

no problem. i was going through the same delima when i wanted to redue the look of my burban. it had some brownish orange carpet in it. sounds ugly but didn't look to bad with the colors of the interior and so forth and was in decent shape. just wanted to change the color. going with a themed truck (Oakland Raiders). looked at just buying it by the roll, scratched that due to all the different steps to get it to fit right (measuring, marking, cutting, cursing when you cut wrong, laying the pad ontop of glue then glueing the carpet to pad and most glues recommend at least 24 hours to cure before you do anything else with them. I would be without a ride for about a week at least by the time i was done. the kit is about 3/4 days tops. if your good 1/2.

Just remember to mark where your hardware came from. they don't always fit right after you put them back in the wrong spot. :)