Are high fuel prices changing your driving habits?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would you say that the high fuel prices are changing your driving habits? Are you more likely to walk/cycle or use public transport now? How expensive would fuel have to be to stop you driving a car?

I wouldnt ever stop driving my car but maybe calm down and not drive as much and not have turbo kick in everytime i put my foot down and try save bit on fuel by taking it more steady.

walk around town but public transport consists of a bus that costs more for a return fair (£4 last time i got one to dumfries 12 miles away ) than it would be just to jump in the car and drive

defenetaly takeing my time more and more not so willing just to pass for the hell of it if i know im going to get stuck behind someone 1/2 mile further on

yeah its stupid at times were told to take the bus / train as there supposed to be subsidised. yeah right were going down to essex the end of feb plane was £101 plus petrol gettng to glasgow parking then the train from stansted, train was £140. using auto route to go down the A1 getting an average of 31 mpg ( a get around 32 around here with in town and country driving so hope to get more) it will cost £90 in petrol so i save around £50 by polluting the world yeah i feel good about it

public transport only works in cities where there is frequent buses and trains along with set prices such as edinburgh has all day travel on the bus for £2.50 in london last year all day off peak travel (after 9am ) was just over £5 that was tube and bus

You forgot to mention the carrying of all the bags and cases, waiting in the cold because they aren't running on time, missed connections, the taxi or walk the other end. Family of 4 travelling from Hampshire to Glasgow in a 2.5 v6 Vectra estate on LPG cost me £75 return door to door. £18.75 per person. Public transport cant match that cost or comfort.

that was what got us there wouldnt be much bags with us as jus going down to celebrate the wife and a mates birthdays train tickets were £80 odd pound on the day and £72 in advance that was around 3 weeks ago. jus me and the wife works out as £45 each, hopefully less.

You forgot to mention the carrying of all the bags and cases, waiting in the cold because they aren't running on time, missed connections, the taxi or walk the other end. Family of 4 travelling from Hampshire to Glasgow in a 2.5 v6 Vectra estate on LPG cost me £75 return door to door. £18.75 per person. Public transport cant match that cost or comfort.

The LPG case is a compelling one but is the gentle fuel duty going to last much longer? Also, what's the performance like on LPG? I'm inclined to think that it's woolier than running on petrol. I still favour diesel as a road car fuel.

Totally agree that the public transport alternative is pointless at the prices charged.

Further, what's the point of running a whole train with a couple of dozen passengers? Surely that's far dirtier than six cars.

A fully laden train is perfect.

But, at the price of fares, who's gonna bother?

Are you more likely to walk?

Haha, I'm far too lazy for that! I could quite easily walk to my destinations, but I've paid all this money to drive, so I might as well! I don't see the point in buying a car and walking around, or taking the bus. I understand if somebody can't afford to put petrol into their car, but I can, so I choose to. :)

The LPG case is a compelling one but is the gentle fuel duty going to last much longer? Also, what's the performance like on LPG? I'm inclined to think that it's woolier than running on petrol. I still favour diesel as a road car fuel.

am i right about saying that LPG creates less power than petrol as its effecively too high an octane ( certain tat i read somewhere that it about the same as 130 ? although i think this may be a bit higher than what i remember) if the engines set up to run solely on LPG with higher compression pistons then the gains are much higher

did look at and LPG conversion to save fuel but the fact it was going to be £1700 sorta made me go nah not worth it

High fuel prices in my area have forced me to adjust my driving syle. My A3 is telling me my current MPG is 29.1, which aint bad considering I do no motorway driving whatsoever (maybe that Ecotek v/v is beginning to pay for itself?).

I do use a website to track the cheapest petrol garages in my area. Check out http://www.petrolprices.com/

LPG is a hit and miss i think, i know on Toyota's that if you to the conversion the Heads will only last 80,000 mile before needing to be scrapped and replaced, yes that does mean the whole head.

you would have to make sure their are no long term set backs if you were to do the conversion, but as far as road fuels go, go for a diesel,

with the rise in fuel prices it hasnt changed my driving habbits but i am more incline to stay home on nights now to save fuel

The lpg setup on my vectra actually makes the engine run smoother and seems quieter at speed. The power seems no different, but not sure how it would be on a lower powered car with less cylinders. When working out the economy, i probably drop between 1 and 2 mpg on gas, but at around 50 pence a litre, i would strongly advise those higher mileage users to look closer at this option. The other up side is there is also no congestion charge on cars that run on lpg. There are sellers on places like ebay offering self fit systems for about £500 including inspection and safety certification. Can be a really cost effective solution to the problems faced by those of us who get stuffed by living or working around London area or travel long distances.

The congestion charge point is a good one. Thankfully I no longer have any cause to travel into Cental London so that doesn't affect me (yet!)

I do wonder though, for how long will the UK government maintain the low rate of duty on LPG. If it gets too popular then they will surely ramp up the road fuel duty applicable to it. The same happened with diesel - it used to be so cheap. That's because the cars were undesirable at best and undriveable at worst. Hence, I hated the things and never bothered buying one until a very few short years ago.

I have driven a couple of LPG dual fuel cars, both V8s and yes, they are fine.

Diesel is my current favourite - I like the ridiculous amount of mid range shove available, although at today's fuel prices and the cost of buying and servicing a diesel car I wonder if it's much of an advantage overall, whether or not you like the drive.

I think the gap and price advantage of owning Diesel is pretty much non existant now.

when it gets cheaper to use a bus. which at curent rates petrol would have to be over the £2 a ltr mark. even then id still need it for work as now buses run at 5 in the morning

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum, just a bit of info to share on the high fuel prices, her in South Africa it's cheaper to buy a 2lt coke than a 1 litre of fuel:) crazy as it seems, it still gona increase more in the later months.

Alright there mate, welcome to TorqueCars! It just goes to show it's not just us in the UK getting screwed over with fuel prices! What car do you drive mate?

I'd stop driving it was leaving me with no money. If fuel rises in price though, will the bus cost more?

last time i got the bus a return journey to Dumfries costs around £4.60 a cheap return ( outside peak times ) thats for a 28 mile round trip and about a year ago so its prob around a fiver by know. if i drive at he same speed aas the buses i can get over 40mpg even driving around 70ish i get 35

Wicked welome to the site. have you posted up a hello ?

I am not sure hot to go about posting a hello, little help please. I must sya that this site is very different from the others I am with. Anyways, trying to put on a free flow exhaust with a branch and possibly gas flow the head but need to check my insurance first. They have strict rules about mods on cars. Thanks for the comment

Would anyone be interested in a fuel tax calculator? It would work in the same way as our MPG calculator (see tools) but it would tell you how much fuel tax and VAT you are paying each year!

Do you think this would put leverage and pressure to get the fuel tax reduced or removed?