Very high fuel consumption Help

azzy

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 620ti
mmm swapping from a diesel to petrols going to require ALOT of work. Most of the engine wiring to the ECU is going to need changed, not forgetting the ECU itself.
Fuel pump also needs changing

But hey and welcome to torquecars. Did the timing belt snap ? if so how much damage did it do ?
hi can u help plz my ti is over fueling abt 3 days ago i get 5 miles with 1 gallon. wat can that be.

:D join the club, my car without any mod's was drinking around 14mpg on a vectra 2.0l turbo diesel, after a new ecu/hoses/cables/alternator belt it seems to be doing around 23/25 these days still not fun.

can you give us more info ?
car, engine, mods etc. Have you done anything to it recently ? fitted a stupid resistor?
no mate just a ti standerd car and engine is. i get 27 to a gallon but i dont no if something is wrong. and i never push to hard on the gas . this week i put 5 pounds in and i got 7 miles . then same with 10 pounds 12 miles . wat can that be any point.

Hello mate can you give us a bit more info please. :)

What's the car exactly?

How old is it?

Mileage?

How is the car running?

How recently was it serviced?

Did the problems start with the cold weather?

Have you checked for fuel leaks? It could be something as saft as a split line. ;)

Last edited:
Can you smell petrol while driving or while stood around your car. Where do you live? England or elsewhere? If your car was over fuelling I'm sure you'd be able to tell. 5 miles to a gallon? That must be a leak somewhere how can the engine consume so much petrol an burn it off without a problem?

I'm inclined to agree. 5 mpg is the sort of figures you'll achieve when top speed testing a Porsche or similar

That was my point. How can a normal engine consume 5 litres in 5 miles? It can't be done unless like me you've got a heavy foot. Even booting my car I bet I'd get around 15 to the gallon.....

Can you smell petrol while driving or while stood around your car. Where do you live? England or elsewhere? If your car was over fuelling I'm sure you'd be able to tell. 5 miles to a gallon? That must be a leak somewhere how can the engine consume so much petrol an burn it off without a problem?
yeh ur right mate its too much on fuel i cant smell fuel mate so can it be lamba sensors o2 or loose ecu.

yeh ur right mate its too much on fuel i cant smell fuel mate so can it be lamba sensors o2 or loose ecu.

I'd still be inclined to check throughly for leaks as I'm sure your engine can't consume that much petrol? Does any fluids come out of the exhaust when its on tickover???

What temp does the water temp guage show when it is warmed up?

Are the plugs black and sooty? If so you are definately running rich.

Does any colour of smoke come out of the exhaust if you rev it when stationary? If so, what colour smoke is it? and let us know as this would show if you are loosing fuel in the fuel system i.e. tank, pipes fuel line etc or if it's definatly something wrong with the engine and it's pumpin the fuel through the engine unburnt (overfueling due to MAF, O2 sensor etc).

hi mate other day i tryed it again i got 7 miles with a gallon of petrol. wat can that be lamba sensors but i got it checked seems ok . and no leaks or signs , when i start it up there is black light smoke from the back. can that be temp sensors. plz help

I still believe this one is a leak somewhere. I just can't believe that the engine can consume 5 litre's of petrol in 7 miles? Can someone explain how this can be done? Wouldn't the car be flooding the engine if it is overfuelling? I just can't believe it???

I think it has to be a leak as well. If it was running that rich the thing would never fire as the overfuelling would be chronic. That is, if the injectors could even deliver the fuel quickly enough.

Have you checked the return line from the injector rail to the tank?

I think it has to be a leak as well. If it was running that rich the thing would never fire as the overfuelling would be chronic. That is, if the injectors could even deliver the fuel quickly enough.

They were my thoughts too. It would just stall the engine and flood it.

I was getting 10 miles on £10 worth of petrol, all this was before it had the charger on it, the car ran ok apart from tickover , although you could smell the petrol coming out of the exhaust.