DIY tips & guides

Post your DIY tips hints and questions in here. This forum is for all GENERAL car related DIY tips. Model specific tips should be posted in the makes and models section.

Video guides

A selection of DIY instruction videos for all types of DIY job.
Threads
Threads
Got a squeaky boot when driving \Bpug 180. But cant for the life of you find the cause!!!! The 180 doesn't come with a spair wheel, so you get a repair kit , this kit comes in a small polystyrene box which is attached to the inside of the boot. Well thats your squeaky boot. Polystyrene box with polystyrene lid !!!!! Squeak squeak squeak. Drove me up the wall for months. :rofl:o_O
I'm considering doing something called a "Porsche Kit" in a few years, when I have more money and possibly a garage or house (yeah, I can rent a garage... $80/mo, I gotta convince landlord to let me install a $2000 9000lb lift, maybe I can sell it to them). I've heard of such a thing. I can't find one. Also, skip the engine. I want diesel. Yes I am a diesel whore. I've been googling around but it's like... hard. I see things about kit cars, but no "BUY CAR KITS" except the lotus. Am I missing it? "Kit car" and "Car kit" are crappy terms for searching. Just something to do down the line, should be fun. If no kits, I can one-off one from spare parts :\
Hi All, Firstly, I apologise if this has been asked before, if so can you point me in the right direction? I have recently bought a new car (2012 MiTo QV) I recently noticed that a previous owner must of got a great big chip on the bonnet and tried to fix it. But looking at it, I feel they must of done it with their eyes closed or let a 5 year old do it. It is just terrible. The fact I have now noticed it, I now can't stop seeing it. It looks like they used to much touch up and it actually ran out of the chip and bubbled just below it. Do you have any advice, hints or tips on how I can possible remove the crap touch up and re do it better. Cheers Lindsay
Hi All, I have a 98 Landrover Discovery, the bonnet has the letters missing, the laquer has started pealing and it generaly looks a mess, I also have some scratches to repair on the rear pannels. My questions are:- do I repair a section of the bonnet or respray the whole thing when respraying the rear pannels, well same question really, do I do the top half (that has the scratches on) or the whole thing, the scratches are where someone have gone down with a key so I cant just pen them out, i tried and it looks a real mess, it needs properly respraying. I have been quoted £250.00 from a garage to do the work but I can get the paint mixed cheaper (far cheaper) and try and do the work my-self. I already have a compressor, spray...
i'm trying to remove a dent on my door - i think caused by a kick imagine if you kicked hard with the sole of your foot against the right hand end of the door handle. the result is like a crater where one end of the door handle has pushed the panel in. pulling on the handle has popped out 2/3rds of the problem. the rest is a) against the handle and b) on a panel angle/crease so one of the domestic suction cup things could not get a seal (if they ever work, they wont on this one) the torque cars article talks about an m shaped dent puller. searching on the web i'm just wading through hundreds of suction cups - anyone give me advice on whether the hot glue and m shape could remove my type of dent, and where/by what name i can get...
i have a toyota 1000 kp30 pickup. its a rear wheel drive and it uses brake drums in the rear. i've managed to convert the front brakes into disks but trying to figure out what to do with the rear brakes. do i need to change the entire diff or can i get disks that can fit with the original diff?
Greetings everyone! So as my title says I wanna add a supercharger to my car but it's not as simple as it sounds sooo I need some help :)) Sooo lemme tell y'all about my car, it's a mark 4 golf but it's an sdi, and it's super clean and as complete as possible and I absolutely love this car that I wouldn't want to see it go away but it's slow and engine swapping it isn't an option here cause that would prevent me from registering it legally (in Israel the new engine should be the same as the previous one aka same engine model number thingy "AQM") I thought of adding a turbo charger for it but that's rather pricy So some googling later I found out about the Aisin amr500 it's a small supercharger and they're pretty affordable on ebay and...
hey guys I'm looking at swaping my 2.6 mitzy sigma wagon 82/83 motor for the vr4 motor (4g63) any info on this would be great I basicly need to know if the mounts line up and the gear box will bolt straght on but anything will help incase I havnt thought of it
Hello all, I have been reading a lot and doing a lot of research on my car the three single most important things you can do are: 1. either get alldata.com account (have to pay) or get a free autozone account where you can load your car in (information is sometimes limited). 2. Buy the manual for your car, chiltons or haynes about 30 USD, or the master technician book about 200 USD. (the latter is a great resource). 3. go to autospeed.com diy articles and read through the articles. I have read though 90% of the 400+ articles. As far as any advice that I can give you from my experience. You should listen to what everyone has to say when diagnosing. When working on your car, be very patient. It's nothing worse than flying through...
Hey guys, So, Im wanting to get started on a project car in a few years time once I’ve done my degree so I’m gonna get started on collecting tools and accessories I’m gonna need for when I get started. If anyone has any particular brands they want to recommend, specific tools that I’ll need everything like that it would be so helpful. I don’t mind paying a good price for a reliable, hard-wearing piece of kit.
If anyone is a visual learner my YouTube channel may help you out. It's all DIY style videos about my various car projects. I have 3 older bimmers that I tinker with passionately. I decided to start the channel as a way to document what I'm doing to the car and to build a network of ppl who can learn from my projects and also help me with advice and or opinions. A forum of sorts. Hopefully some of u will stop by a watch a few of my vids. Thanks.
We bought my '98 Chevrolet Tahoe used, and within a year it blew a turn-signal bulb in the rear. A really helpful auto-parts store guy informed me that this was the only common issue on this vehicle that he knew of (quite true so far; Bertha, the truck, has otherwise been very nicely reliable). So I began to look at options. The store had LED bulbs which were listed with exactly the same part numbers. I tried two different kinds, and odd behavior resulted, lights coming on and staying off just wrongly; so I replaced with incandescent that time. I was also told that the circuit-board is often at fault, so I replaced that too. Eight months later or so, ditto. So I dug, and I learned that there are special flashers designed for...
Let me start a small topic. It is a Honda Civic EK with engine swap. I am currently putting together a D16Z6 turbo engine. I would like your opinion and advice :) I will use - D16A6 engine block (same as D16Z6) - D16Z6 engine head - Chinese turbo copy of Garrett 3071r - Vitara pistons - Speed Factory long connecting rods -ARP bolts for connecting rods and engine head -Edelbrock intake manifold - throttle valve fi 70mm -injectors 750cc -Walbro 255 fuel pump - stock fuel rail -XTD stage 4 clutch kit -oil cooler 12 rows - aluminum water cooler -I'm thinking about MegaSquirt V2 or Hondata S300 -ACL Oil pump High performance (if I can find one, out of production) And some other parts, so I won't list every little thing... I'm curious if...
Hi there, new here and have a rather specific question. Recently made a purchase of a bosch kts350 for diagnostics. It runs Windows 10 and plugs straight into an obd and has alot of other connection capabilities. My question is, can this be used for remapping? It is essentially just a hand held computer, so would make some sense if there was just a cable and software able to do this.
My '98 Tahoe has to sit a bit more than it's been used to, with fuel prices hiked a lot, so I put some of the most common fuel stabilizer I've seen here -- Sta-Bil: https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer/ in the tank with fresh gas. And I was surprised. It helped a lot. Even though I have been using Sea Foam and one or two others occasionally. Did the same with my sweet wife's Ford Focus. The bottle mentioned (very briefly) treating the whole fuel system, so I wasn't too shocked, but I was wondering, does anyone know if there risks, downsides...? The bottle says it can keep gallons of fuel good for 24 months (!), which is pleasing. I remember a different brand of fuel stabilizer having a warning of not using...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back