DIY tips & guides

Post your DIY tips hints and questions in here. This forum is for all GENERAL car related DIY tips. Model specific tips should be posted in the makes and models section.

Video guides

A selection of DIY instruction videos for all types of DIY job.
Threads
Threads
two questions, 1. what does the current and voltage waveform of distributor output in a conventional car look like, I mean is it a pulse or sine wave or anything else... 2. I have a 3-cylinder car, and four point distributor, any wild ideas what i can do with the fourth wire.... :) thanks
i have a lorry air horn in my car with a 75l air tank hooked up for a reservoir. im currently refilling it by pluging into the main air line in the garage or at a service station with the tyre guage. iv looked around for 12v air compressors but cant find any reliable ones. im running the system at 120psi, big enough pressure. i once heard that an air-con pump can pump air. think i saw it on scrapheap challenge!?! is this true that it can pump air because there is one fitted on my car at the minute so all has to be done is some re-piping etc to get me away. any knowledge on this subject would be greatfully welcomed.
Lets begin with a hello, for I have just joined. I have the eclipse listed above, which comes stock with a 420A Chrysler engine... So no turbo right now. I am looking for ways to turbo this vehicle, for it would be my first turbocharged car. I am not sure if I should keep the Chrysler engine or swap to say a 4G63 mitsu engine to add turbos. I do know to keep the Chrysler engine I will need to rebuild it with stronger internals, I am sure I would melt the engine if I decided to take it to the strip and up the boost... I am open to any suggestion but I do not know where to begin with such project. I would like to have an interior boost control module to control the boost and air/fuel ratio so I can still get good gas millage and be able...
i have a toyota 1000 kp30 pickup. its a rear wheel drive and it uses brake drums in the rear. i've managed to convert the front brakes into disks but trying to figure out what to do with the rear brakes. do i need to change the entire diff or can i get disks that can fit with the original diff?
Hi guys, I’m here to get some advice to buy a 1967 Mustang. My cousin owns a Mustang 1967 model and I got a chance to ride it. It was an awesome experience and from then I really want to buy one. However, I’ve been thinking of getting an old one and I even discussed with my cousin to know more about it. But I got to know that it is very difficult to buy an old car. Hence, I searched online and found some tips that should be considered before buying an old model (http://www.serviceplus416.com/maintenance-tips/the-ultimate-guide-to-buying-a-classic-car/) when I searched online. Do I need to consider anything else? Please share your experience. Thanks.
Hey my name's Chad I'm new to forums lol but I was considering buying the 2012 Scion Fr-s and am impressed by everything about it except for the 200 hp and 151 ft. lb of torque :amazed:. I don't know a lot about cars and was wondering what options I would have to raise the hp. I would be happy at 274 i would be amazed at 300+ i know about turbochargers and superchargers but there too expensive and require extra suspension etc. etc. please tell me what you're advice would be.:D
Yaris 2008 1.5L 3D – how to make a driver’s seat foldable? Hi Guys I’ve got Yaris 2008 1.5L 3D, USA standards, left steer wheel. it’s a nice and smart car, I test its character in Russian winter conditions these days and first results are quite acceptable ( without comparison to my another pet - 3.0L 4X4 Outlander XL). There is quite a problem resulting from its 3-door feature – driver’s seat is not foldable, so you have to make some acrobatic movements to put something on rear seat. It is also very uncomfortable to get a passenger from right side only. I understand that the reason is safety and accept it – generally. But it could be nice and sage in Mariland state but not in my case. Quite often you got a passenger from a...
If anyone is a visual learner my YouTube channel may help you out. It's all DIY style videos about my various car projects. I have 3 older bimmers that I tinker with passionately. I decided to start the channel as a way to document what I'm doing to the car and to build a network of ppl who can learn from my projects and also help me with advice and or opinions. A forum of sorts. Hopefully some of u will stop by a watch a few of my vids. Thanks.
Hello all, I have been reading a lot and doing a lot of research on my car the three single most important things you can do are: 1. either get alldata.com account (have to pay) or get a free autozone account where you can load your car in (information is sometimes limited). 2. Buy the manual for your car, chiltons or haynes about 30 USD, or the master technician book about 200 USD. (the latter is a great resource). 3. go to autospeed.com diy articles and read through the articles. I have read though 90% of the 400+ articles. As far as any advice that I can give you from my experience. You should listen to what everyone has to say when diagnosing. When working on your car, be very patient. It's nothing worse than flying through...
Greetings everyone! So as my title says I wanna add a supercharger to my car but it's not as simple as it sounds sooo I need some help :)) Sooo lemme tell y'all about my car, it's a mark 4 golf but it's an sdi, and it's super clean and as complete as possible and I absolutely love this car that I wouldn't want to see it go away but it's slow and engine swapping it isn't an option here cause that would prevent me from registering it legally (in Israel the new engine should be the same as the previous one aka same engine model number thingy "AQM") I thought of adding a turbo charger for it but that's rather pricy So some googling later I found out about the Aisin amr500 it's a small supercharger and they're pretty affordable on ebay and...
hey guys I'm looking at swaping my 2.6 mitzy sigma wagon 82/83 motor for the vr4 motor (4g63) any info on this would be great I basicly need to know if the mounts line up and the gear box will bolt straght on but anything will help incase I havnt thought of it
Got a squeaky boot when driving \Bpug 180. But cant for the life of you find the cause!!!! The 180 doesn't come with a spair wheel, so you get a repair kit , this kit comes in a small polystyrene box which is attached to the inside of the boot. Well thats your squeaky boot. Polystyrene box with polystyrene lid !!!!! Squeak squeak squeak. Drove me up the wall for months. :rofl:o_O
Let me start a small topic. It is a Honda Civic EK with engine swap. I am currently putting together a D16Z6 turbo engine. I would like your opinion and advice :) I will use - D16A6 engine block (same as D16Z6) - D16Z6 engine head - Chinese turbo copy of Garrett 3071r - Vitara pistons - Speed Factory long connecting rods -ARP bolts for connecting rods and engine head -Edelbrock intake manifold - throttle valve fi 70mm -injectors 750cc -Walbro 255 fuel pump - stock fuel rail -XTD stage 4 clutch kit -oil cooler 12 rows - aluminum water cooler -I'm thinking about MegaSquirt V2 or Hondata S300 -ACL Oil pump High performance (if I can find one, out of production) And some other parts, so I won't list every little thing... I'm curious if...
My '98 Tahoe has to sit a bit more than it's been used to, with fuel prices hiked a lot, so I put some of the most common fuel stabilizer I've seen here -- Sta-Bil: https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer/ in the tank with fresh gas. And I was surprised. It helped a lot. Even though I have been using Sea Foam and one or two others occasionally. Did the same with my sweet wife's Ford Focus. The bottle mentioned (very briefly) treating the whole fuel system, so I wasn't too shocked, but I was wondering, does anyone know if there risks, downsides...? The bottle says it can keep gallons of fuel good for 24 months (!), which is pleasing. I remember a different brand of fuel stabilizer having a warning of not using...
This is an article is primarily based on a 2002 VW Bora, but I've changed discs and pads on many a car down the years and the basics are pretty much the same for standard systems. Because car makes and models do vary we suggest you consult with a good workshop manual to get an overview of the specifics for your car. As always if you are not reasonably competent at car mechanics please leave work to a professional. Continue reading...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back