Winter warnings

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
Ok its frosty time again.
The RAC has warned drivers against leaving theyre cars to warm up, with them, the owners not the cars :cheesy:, nipping back inside to keep warm.

opportunities like these are just like a Christmas present to car thieves as the doors are open and engine already running basically its a jump in and drive away.
police have also warmed about gangs using minibuses to shuttle people about just on the lookout for these cars. in half an hour 15 cars were stolen by one gang last year

it should also be noted that your insurance is invalid as you, yourself have left the car running

That's absolutely true. No sign of forced entry then no claim is admissible. In Germany it's illegal to warm up your engine at all!!! So we can be so kind to the environment by not using a couple of minutes to get the glass clear etc. But what if you mow down a queue at a bus stop due to vision inhibited by frozen up windows?

use blanket the night before
or de icer, scraper, WARM water to defrost your windows before setting off.

where do they get that its illigal to warm up your engine at all ? no wonder europes filled with stupid laws

They are not saying you cant warm up the car and wait for the windscreen to clear.
They are basically telling you not to leave your car unattended.

Common sense really but still so many people do it and get caught out. People think they live on a quiet close and it won't happen to them then it does and then they find out they are not covered!

The law in this country states that you Cannot leave your car on a public road unnatended with the keys in the ignition and the engine running. Although many do just that you can get fined for it......

hate winter mornings in the car, bloody leather seats always manage to find that little patch of bare skin at base of my back when i get in the car 'brrrrrrrrrrrrrr' lol

Can't say I get that myself 2f2c! You're going to tell me that trousers with armpit high waist lines are out of fashion;)

:eek: Get yourself down to Next or Gap Waynne, youll probably be quite surprised! :lol:

Ok its frosty time again.
The RAC has warned drivers against leaving theyre cars to warm up, with them, the owners not the cars :cheesy:, nipping back inside to keep warm.

opportunities like these are just like a Christmas present to car thieves as the doors are open and engine already running basically its a jump in and drive away.
police have also warmed about gangs using minibuses to shuttle people about just on the lookout for these cars. in half an hour 15 cars were stolen by one gang last year

it should also be noted that your insurance is invalid as you, yourself have left the car running
i warm mine up, but i dont move the GF car from the outside of the drive until im ready to go

if you dont have a drive, these clifford alarms that start the car for you, would be handy

bottle of warm water does enough for me,
turn over engine, and clear windows - make sure you lift the wipers before hand just incase you rip the rubbers off and wipe off

started and away in under 3 mins and never have to leave the car sitting unattended

bottle of warm water does enough for me,
turn over engine, and clear windows - make sure you lift the wipers before hand just incase you rip the rubbers off and wipe off

started and away in under 3 mins and never have to leave the car sitting unattended
you probably know already mate not to use hot water

i personaly use cold water, even if its 1 degree, it will still melt any ice

you probably know already mate not to use hot water

i personaly use cold water, even if its 1 degree, it will still melt any ice

oooooooooo hot water not good, seen my old next door neighbour crack her windscreen right down the middle few years back cos she thought her car was a teabag and poured a kettle full of boiling water over it lol

oh dear (was funny at the time lol)

I use luke warm water. You can get hotter with your second go but it does help prevent the screen from icing up again as quickly as the residual warm stays in the engine.

I've also put a hot water bottle on the dash which is quite effective but just takes a bit of planning in advance.

Lukewarm water works well for me. De-icer is a menace as it makes the inside of the screen freeze due to the evaporation cooling effect.
yeah, i cant understand why it was brought on the market
maybe for the reason that its so cold, that the water pipes leading in to your house are also frozen,

ha ha, if thats the case, it will be so cold the oil in your car will be frozen
so de-icer will be ;;;; all use to anyone

oooooooooo hot water not good, seen my old next door neighbour crack her windscreen right down the middle few years back cos she thought her car was a teabag and poured a kettle full of boiling water over it lol

oh dear (was funny at the time lol)
she is not the only 1 girl, ive heard loads of storys of people doing this

I use luke warm water. You can get hotter with your second go but it does help prevent the screen from icing up again as quickly as the residual warm stays in the engine.

I've also put a hot water bottle on the dash which is quite effective but just takes a bit of planning in advance.
i like your thinking mate

its the steam that clears it
same method i use for cleaning my freezer,(not a hot water bottle)
i put boiling water in a pot and leave it sit in the freezer

Synthetic engine oil 0w and 5w lower ratings should still pour til around -30 celcius. Clearly, you don't start and drive if it is that cold as you will destroy the engine in no time.