Why so hard to work on?

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Why are some cars so hard to work on?

They use silly size bolts, star shaped screws, electrical bits moulded in plastic and bonded to a much larger part so you have to replace the whole thing.

Even changing light bulbs in some cars is a nightmare!

All designed to push you towards dealers and maximise profit. As simple as that.

Also, cars are designed to be built easily as each second saved is worth a lot of money. This has the added benefit of increasing pressure to use a dealer for maintnenace/repairs.

It's not al about profit - it's about packaging. We're demanding more and more interior space and the compromise is under the bonnet.

Sorry, don't agree. As far as the car manufacturers are concerend, it is ALL about profit. However, I agree that if we want more sitting and storage space in the same size car, then something has to give.

Plus all or most of the bits we need to fix /get at are all assembled before they lower the body over the motor etc

We want our cars to be cheaper and have more features, they cram as many in by sourcing cheap components wherever they can! How many breakdowns are attributed to cheaply made chinese plastic coated electronics? Quite a few I'd hazzard.

If cars were simpler and easier to work on they would be more expensive in the first place and they would have less features or gadgets in them! Nice for the DIY motorist but this is sadly a minority group. Most people know very little about car mechanicals.