Trying too hard

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I followed a Sporty fiesta cross country yesterday. I say sporty, it had the loud exhaust, was 2 inches from the ground and had stretched tyres fitted *(see what we think of stretched tyres here)

He was redlining it, crashing over bumps and slowing up for corners and accelerating away quite hard.

Anyhow, I more than kept pace with him in 5th gear and felt he was over cautious in the bends.

The question is though who was having the most fun? Me crusing along well inside the limits of my car or him pushing the car as hard and fast as it could go?

Do people try to hard when it comes to car tuning?

Some mistakenly seem to think that lower is better however they have less suspension movement and bottom out on undulations and have to drive sideways over speed bumps.
If they fit stronger/stiffer springs to prevent bottoming it can reduce grip under some situations due to the tyres skipping over bumps/losing contact with the road surface etc.

Last edited:
Indeed Rad, my own car is lowered and the suspension is very stiff, what I gain on some aspects of road holding I lose on other aspects of road holding. I have learned to adapt my driving style to suit the car's geometry but it is all still a learning curve for me as I explore the limits.

My JB is lowered as well but like your Saab not to the extreme like some I see in my travels:eek:

With amount of speed bumps and potholes in this bloody country I don't think I'll ever bother lowering mine. I'll just do what I did with my last ST and polybush the crap out of it, improved the handling no end!