What tools does a beginner need

whiplash88

Car
Polo Match 1.4
Re: New guy from the UK

What about tools wise what should i be looking at getting as a beginner to do things such as tyre changes/modification under the bonnet/under the car whatever etc - i have none of my own but probs got some things lying about the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a good question so I've moved it to make a new thread in general chat.

I would recommend a good quality socket set. A torque Wrench is nice but not essential. You will also need a spark plug tool (sometimes a socket set will provide this) and you should also get an oil filter removal tool.

You will also need a set of screwdrivers and spanners. A big tub of Swarfega will help you to avoid the black fingernails.

Remember you get what you pay for. A cheap socket set will only last for a few jobs and it is cheaper in the long run to just get yourself a decent set.

I would also recommend a trolley jack, axle stands/ramps a magnet on a string and a good small torch you can hold in your mouth!;)

Nice one i'll get this all down later and take a look about see what we have already, the rest i'll grab from a store in town sometime soon

cheers!

Hammer :bigsmile:

Mag pick up tool is worth it's weight in magnets. As is a parts dish.
Waynnes covered the basics & as mentioned before buy cheap, buy twice. ;)

A very very big encyclopedia of expletives with pronunciation details, notes on grammatical correctness along with some examples of common usage :) :)

Buy the VERY best socket set you can afford. Tbh the Halfords one that is £100 down from £200 is flippin excellent and on par with the Snap-On one my mate has. Lifetimes guarantee too!

You'll also want the most valuable tool you'll ever buy....a hammer! A Torque wrench is essential if you're going to start doing work on the block, headgaskets etc. Screwdrivers, a breaker bar, plus gas for stuck bolts (WD40 is rubbish) and that should be about it to get you going.

A couple of old lunchboxes will do to keep all your bolts etc in and stop you spending half an hour looking where you put the buggers down.

A trolley jack and axel stands are pretty essential too.

Most if not all of those are essential. The rest will depend on the type of work you're doing, and your budget. For example, an oil filter wench is useful but a bit of a luxury because oil filters should only be done up hand-tight anyway, and if one is stuck you can just hammer a screwdriver through it, and use that to turn it.

See. Told you you'd need a hammer ;)

and if one is stuck you can just hammer a screwdriver through it, and use that to turn it.

That's also a good way to chop your hands to bits and bend up the filter mount. We've all used that technique at some point though.

A bit of sandpaper give good drip on an oil filter if you've got a difficult one.

But you must refer to the encyclopedia before attempting any work and practise using the nominal expletives for the particular task at hand.

That's also a good way to chop your hands to bits and bend up the filter mount

Rrriiiiiiiiiiiight. If you bend up your filter mount I'll give you the money myself. Filters are as thin as out, you can just push a philips through them tbh. Smack the filter mount ITSELF with a hammer and you probably wouldn't bend the bleeder.

How would you chop your hands to bits? For a very intellegent fella, you don't half come out with some sh*t sometimes honestly. Can you tell I'm in a bad mood yet? :love:

I'm just not blessed with mechanical skills of that type. It's not that I'm lacking dexterity, I just don't have the patience to do mechanical work myself. SO I end up rushing and messing things up.

Next.................... :)

right im thinking of buying some tools next week hopefully, might try some little bits on the polo (if anyone can give me tips on whats easy to take off :)) seeing as i dont have the physical space at the moment to buy a project car, and still got a month till i can even begin learning :lol:

anyway heres a little list im considering - bit more than i was hoping so any bits you dont think ill need starting off just say

Halfords 3 ton axle stands £20
64pc socket set £60 - or the 150pc set for £98 maybe
8 piece screwdriver set - £20
Seperate ratchet spanner set (maybe) - £20
Trolley jack - £30
torque wrench £50 40nm - 200nm

links (gota wait for approval i think) : http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_241771_langId_-1_categoryId_165572 64 pc socket set

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_173083_langId_-1_categoryId_165572 150 pc set

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_215964_langId_-1_categoryId_165727 axles

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_217059_langId_-1_categoryId_165727 jack

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_253901_langId_-1_categoryId_165572 spanners

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_180255_langId_-1_categoryId_165469 torque wrench

Most if not all of those are essential. The rest will depend on the type of work you're doing, and your budget. For example, an oil filter wench is useful but a bit of a luxury because oil filters should only be done up hand-tight anyway, and if one is stuck you can just hammer a screwdriver through it, and use that to turn it.

Oil filters are only done up hand tight because they tighten themselves up after a while. I've had some that wouldn't come off with the right tool so ended up using a screw driver.
A hammer is a must though. :lol:

Halfords 3 ton axle stands £20
64pc socket set £60 - or the 150pc set for £98 maybe
8 piece screwdriver set - £20
Seperate ratchet spanner set (maybe) - £20
Trolley jack - £30
torque wrench £50 40nm - 200nm

Don't bother with the 3 tonners, you'll never need them. Save yourself a fiver and get the 2 tonne ones. As for the socket set, get the 150pc one it really is excellent and skimping here will only lead to you buying extra bits later on. Make sure you add to that a decent set of allen keys and a hammer at the very least. If possible stretch to a breaker bar (it'll save you so much hassle), moles grips, pliers and a can of plus gas for stuck bolts.

Yeah i see the ones, i'll get them instead, gas/hammer/keys and pliers we got in the garage i think but ill double check. Hopefully get some bits this week if all goes to plan