What shall I do

S

shaahinoghab

Hi guys im sean im fairly new to tuning i used to deal in used cars but I want to get a used car for myself and tune it!!!
Actually I want two cars one diesel and one petrol!!!

With the petrol for performance shall I go for a 1.8t or a 2.8v6?????
what mods can I add without doing much internal engine tuning to make the accel better I mean much better!!!! what kina performance can I expect.

also shall I go for Golf or alfa romeo??
Id love to see your ideas
cheers

Are you thinking between the VW Golf 1.8 T or the Alfa 156 V6? Both of which are cracking cars straight out of the box.

If it was up to me, although I really really like Alfas, I'm a Dubber at heart so I'd be tempted to go for the Golf. You can uprate the turbo or look to bolting on a Jackson Racing Supercharger.

One thing I will say though is that if you're upgrading then you really are going to have to look at stengthening some engine components to cope with all the extra mush.

It is possible to tune the existing engine and the turbo it comes from the factory with but it just depends how much extra power you want as to whether this will be worth doing for you or not.

the 1.8t golf engine is supposed to be good up to 300 bhp on standard internals. standard acceleration is just over 8 seconds and with an aggressive remap this can be as low a 6.5 with 220ish bhp . but how often are you going to hammer it from the start ? if not often like HDI says go down the diesel route and get it remapped the 1.9 golf will give you around 200bhp and a hell of a lot more torque,better for real driving, and economy over the petrol. depending on how much money you have you could look along the lines of BMW 330d and 335d engines

if you go down the 1.8t engine APR do remap kit for £1750 +vat
include down below

APR software - 3 programs (Stage 2 95RON, Stage 2 98RON, Stock)
Throttle body alignment & Fault Code Erase
Security Anti-Theft
Cruise control (including stalk)
Neuspeed P-Flo (Audi TT)
APR 3" Turbo back exhaust (with high flowing catalysts)
Fully fitted - about 5 hours labour

or for around £5k they can take it up to 340bhp and 330 ftlb with turbo upgrade and they dont say the internals have to be uprated with this kit

jsb can take it up to over 600bhp if your completely insane

Diesels can be a bloody nuisance at the very low end of the speed range. 1st and 2nd gears are 'short' because of the lower revving engines. Once into 3rd though, you're in a different world. Mines delivering over 320lbft with a modest custom remap. This is similar to large capacity V6 petrol torque so you get that totally effortless feel in higher gears with very strong acceleration even in fifth gear.

Welcome to TorqueCars. This is my favourite subject but it looks like I'm too late to add anything. The 1.8T is an awesome engine and there are lots of options out there. You can even build the engine tune up in stages - its like getting a new car every couple of months.

Agreed, the 1.8T units are proven and popular. Didn't want to use the word common as that might give the wrong impression.

They've been available in various levels of tune for years, and all have potential to go further than pretty much any other 4 cylinder available. I know of one in 340bhp tune that's smooth as a 150bhp stock engine and it's covered 200,000 miles without drama!!

They're a little bit breathless in 150bhp tune but a couple of hundred quid's worth of remap should see over 200bhp with no other changes at all.

I also like the 170bhp 2.3 20 valve V5 engine, but that's not especially tuneable.