Shall I Vinyl Wrap ??

RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
Thinking of getting my Passat R36 done like so (White with black in places):
http://ukcorsa-d.com/forum/showthre...oss-white-Carbon-c-o-Totally-Dynamic-In-Leeds

Note that the 335d owner has put carbon-fibre effect where I would like to leave mine unwrapped/black... but from distance shots, you get the idea.

I too would leave the boot lip spoiler, rear around the exhausts, roof and mirrors black. The R36 also has R specific big deep black grills on the lower of the front bumper which you hardly notice being a black car. These would show up well.

The company I am thinking of using is: http://www.rgva.co.uk/. A friend of mine who runs a body-shop had their rep in, and they seemed good. I quote:
The vinyl we use has an 8-10yr (flat surface) and 5-7yr (contour/conformed) life. We offer a 1yr guarantee and expect the wrap to last 3-4yrs before needing a tidy up.

The R36 is too subtle sometimes I think, for what it is. Particularly in black. I think this, especially the white/black contrast would really make it a bit special. It also has the bonus of protecting the paintwork, its about 30% of the cost of a respray and when you get bored you just remove it all.

Thoughts please?? :toung:

That looks great, you also need a TorqueCars logo in there somewhere.

I had thought about the vinyl wrap for some carbon fibre effects for my various engine covers under the bonnet. I was warned that the plastic covers have to be sprayed really well because sometimes while applying the vinyl, it has to be peeled back slightly to remove the creases and it can take the paint with it if the spray job is a poor one! :(

Tell me, have you asked any of the following questions as this procedure sounds marvellous and might turn my thoughts to it, IF? does the wrap lend it self well to constant car washes? harsh road salt in the winter? polishing? how and what treatment if any is required on the original painted car finish when the wrap comes off to be either replaced or to go back to factory? Have looked on the website and the work looks good but the majority of it would appear to be on vans! let me know how it all works out, I would be very interested, ;)

It's Hard to say if it's a good Idea:

Good Points: Cheaper than Spray Job and still looks good

Bad Points: Paint Peeling

My Dad got a Wrap on his TX2 Taxi and when removing it, alot of Paint came off the car leaving it in a mess so he's had to put another wrap on to hide it

OK. Car has been there 24 hours. They've done the front section so far, and this is a teaser shot...

R36_Wrap_Teaser_Small.jpg

That's going to great, VW will be a little confused the next time you go for a service. I can just see the guy stood in the car park, keys in hand looking for a black R36 :lol:

That's going to great, VW will be a little confused the next time you go for a service. I can just see the guy stood in the car park, keys in hand looking for a black R36 :lol:

I was thinking that myself. I always speak/deal with the same guy at VW Service, so I am defiantly not telling him - purely for a laugh ;)

Not bad. Could be seen as a bit of an investment come selling time when it comes off and you're left with near perfect paint being as it'll protect from scratches and chips without looking gay like those "clear" protection films and car bras.

Not bad. Could be seen as a bit of an investment come selling time when it comes off and you're left with near perfect paint being as it'll protect from scratches and chips without looking gay like those "clear" protection films and car bras.

Got it in one. Helps keep the resale value too. I can have it white with black bits, but come sale time its a standard car again.

Car is back and.... wooooo :D

I've also been asked to take it back to their open-day next weekend. If anybody is interested in the Kent area it'll be at their offices in East Farleigh near Maidstone. I can post details once I get confirmation..

I'm sure there will be lots of interesting stuff to look at and listen to.

Well I think it looks brilliant, so if the pic isn't so great then it must awesome in the flesh, can't wait for more pics. :bigsmile:

Don't forget to take you camera to the open day!

Just had a look at the pictures on the weblink also, very surprised at the finish, extremely professional! Think I will give them a call about my lady's Mondeo which was a victim to some mindless vandals :mad: How long from start to finish did the project take Rob?

Hi.

It took 2 and a half days, and the R36 is a big car. Give Kieran a call at RGVA. He was very professional and the whole experience was fantastic.

Oh wow they have done one hell of a job. You must be chuffed. These R36's are really (and I mean REALLY) growing on me. You don't ever see them about either.

VERY pleased :)

Funny you say that - there is one I see every now and again (estate version) that must live near me somewhere. Personally I think the estate spoils it, but still, strange another one is local.

Thanks for that Rob, I shall give them a call in the week and have a little chat.
Have to buy, her indoors a new set of wheels for her Mondeo! as the unwashed and unloved took all of the hub caps of the car as well, so I will source some nice alloys and get the wrap done!
Will post some pics of before and after the project, ;)