What is the best car to drive

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Ok then in your opinion what would you say is the best car to drive?

What do you define as a drivers car? What features must a drivers car have and not have?

best one i have driven is my old lexus ls400

nice smooth thing to drive

sure i have had quick cars and have driven even quicker but for me they are not the best to drive

sure i have had quick cars and have driven even quicker but for me they are not the best to drive

I've not driven the LS but I had driven the GS300 and GS430. Both are very incredibly refined. More so than my E39 which in itself is almost Bentley quiet when cruising.

Best car I've driven is my current car (RS4).. but it'd make sense really. I don't make a habit of buying a car worse than my previous one ;)

I second this! hired one for a weekend once to take my lady away for our anniversary! I have never been so reluctant to hand the keys back for a car in all my life :amazed: An absolutely stunning car! :bigsmile:

They [Lexus 400/430's] are very very refined. Clarkson once commented by saying that its isolation from the outside world gave a good impression of what it might be like to be dead. He also said that you could hear you own hair growing.

Best car I've driven is my current car (RS4).. but it'd make sense really. I don't make a habit of buying a car worse than my previous one ;)

What are you going to top that with then is the question!

That is a big question as people look for different things out of a drive, a big Lexus for example would bore me to death and I'm prone to falling asleep if too comfortable :lol::lol::lol:

We could commission a special one for you:- seats filled with chunks of concrete, oops, sorry, too heavy :)

Get the PAS wired up back to front so you have to fight it all the time and remove the tyres so it runs on the rims.

That'll keep you alert for a while ! !

We could commission a special one for you:- seats filled with chunks of concrete, oops, sorry, too heavy :)

Get the PAS wired up back to front so you have to fight it all the time and remove the tyres so it runs on the rims.

That'll keep you alert for a while ! !

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Excellent suggestions! Maybe I should go back to horse and kart? :love:

What are you going to top that with then is the question!

That is a big question as people look for different things out of a drive, a big Lexus for example would bore me to death and I'm prone to falling asleep if too comfortable :lol::lol::lol:

"I'm prone to falling asleep if too comfortable" let me know when your on the road next MA and i'll work from home that day I think! :lol:

FLOL!

Disclaimer: This is of course a joke and I have never fallen asleep at the wheel!

Until I drive a Lexus. :lol:

It wouldn't matter if you did. They virtually drive themselves to be honest. That's been the biggest criticism of the brand. The driving experience is totally uninvolving.

A 5 series BMW (any age or model) is much more of a drivers car. They, too, are extremely hushed but they are considered to be sporty, driver oriented saloons with a luxury makeover.

The Lexus GS300/430 models are equally competent dynamically but there's no incentive to take advantage of this.

Hmmm, It would have to have
Active yaw control
A lot of speed
0-60 in 4.5 or less
And Handle like a dreem

Hmmmmm. I have got to be honest, I have not driven a better car than my own. I know some may be adding in comfort and layout of the dash and what not, but I am not interested in that, I haven't had a smooth car since.....well ever. And I have driven BMW's and Mercs, but for me, on this one, the best car to drive for me would be my little Miti.

I would love to have a go at a Scoob! ever since I saw this heavily modified one in white at the Sanspeed garage in Bexleyheath Kent 7 years ago now! (engine was a work of art) the garage is famed for it's works on outrageous scoobies! it had such an awesome noise just on tickover ;)
I dearly want to drive one, but alas, this has yet to happen :sad2:

It had personal plates that started ESC and had an Essex Scooby Club sticker on the windscreen! If anyone here owns this Beast or know's who it's owner is? I would love to see it again :love:

I would love to have a go at a Scoob! ever since I saw this heavily modified one in white at the Sanspeed garage in Bexleyheath Kent 7 years ago now! (engine was a work of art) the garage is famed for it's works on outrageous scoobies! it had such an awesome noise just on tickover ;)
I dearly want to drive one, but alas, this has yet to happen :sad2:

It had personal plates that started ESC and had an Essex Scooby Club sticker on the windscreen! If anyone here owns this Beast or know's who it's owner is? I would love to see it again :love:

Im sorry, scoobie does not enter my vocab! lol :D

I saw a boy with the sticker ''See no Evo, Fear no Evo'' in his window. Im sorry guy's but I had to overtake him. :p

Most people find the WRX very anodyne. Dynamically it's unimpeachable and does everything so extraordinarily well that you don't really notice it going about its business.

In one of these a stupidly rushed fast main road journey in poor weather can feel like a lazy amble down to the shops at 35mph in June.

i've never really enjoyed the sound of subaru's flat four, especially with a performance exhaust, a few of my mates have them and they are quick, quicker than my accord anyway :lol: but the noise they make just isn't right for a car, give me an inline four pot anyday

Last edited:
it's basically a bigger capacity and water cooled version of an original beetle engine, an engine thats over 60 years old in design terms, it is a testament of it's reliability but the noise makes it sound like it's tearing itself apart from the inside, that's just me though :lol:

i've never really enjoyed the sound of subaru's flat four, especially with a performance exhaust, a few of my mates have them and they are quick, quicker than my accord anyway :lol: but the noise they make just isn't right for a car, give me an inline four pot anyday

OMG somebody that agrees! I don't like the sound, too burbly like the exhaust has fallen off. Sounds like it's timed up wrong :lol::lol::lol::lol:

it's basically a bigger capacity and water cooled version of an original beetle engine, an engine thats over 60 years old in design terms, it is a testament of it's reliability but the noise makes it sound like it's tearing itself apart from the inside, that's just me though :lol:

I'm not fond of the noise either but the engines are a far cry from VW's air cooled Beetles.

Would you say the same of an air cooled 911 even though it's a flat six?

I'm not fond of the noise either but the engines are a far cry from VW's air cooled Beetles.

Would you say the same of an air cooled 911 even though it's a flat six?

I'm not going to back down now :lol: Granted, technology has moved on a bit since it's creation and Porsche have developed it massively over the ages but, strip all the advancements and a couple of cylinders off of it and in essence it's the same engine that went into Porsches first sports car the 356 and then the Volkswagons, the last of the air cooled "supercars" the 993 GT2 had huge amounts of power and torque but sounded really smooth in comparison to the Scooby even though it was twin turbo'd, I don't know what Subaru have done to get that noise out of theirs

Last edited:
The best car I have driven recently (and quite possibly the best car I have ever driven) is a Nissan 350Z my aunt's (more like my sister cause the age gap is only like 3 years and we are quite close) boyfriend has got one now and I had a little drive over cannock chase....

I have always been quite fond of them and thing is I don't really like jap cars that much. There are exceptions to my disliking Jap cars (hate is too strong a word, I don't hate them, i'd rather buy something else..) Like a Mitsubishi Evo 9 (has to be an 7 8 or 9) 10's not so much. Nissan GTR? surely that would be an exception as well...but actually no, I think it's too gadget'd up to the eye balls to be a proper drivers car. I would love to own one but I wouldn't buy one with my own money...
and like I said the 350Z. The thing is though I don't just like it... I LOVE IT!!!
It is so involving and tactile and just bonkers all at the same time. It's probebly an opposite car that Nissan made to the GTR I guess but It was awesome....

Pure and simple in the way it does things and brilliant in the way it drives....
I think it gives my future 2nd car a run for it's money, TVR Chimera, I dare say that's awesome to drive as well.....350z or TVR? Both very apealling...

Your mad. A decatted Scoob sounds awesome.;)

I'll give you that. They do sound a little meaty. But 270 V 340/50ish.... I dont think so. I love how people think they are quicker than Evo's. It puts a smile on my face.

Mind, in my eye's, it can sound how it likes, but when Im looking in my mirror and see one getting smaller and smaller, no about of sound will get the driver his balls back! Mr See no Evo rubish, your balls are mine now!!:twisted: