Torque Cars

Sub problem

Discussion in '205/206/207/208 forums' started by Chris7024, 26 January 2009.

1. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Bass is the low end of the frequency range. So if you raise the LPF then you will be raising the frequency. Yes if it is all the way up an you drop it then yes it will increase the bass....

2. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    Yeah that's what I was saying. I understand now, I'll try it

3. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    No I didn't say that at all.

I said that you need to leave the LPF as open as possible before adjusting the signal level to the sub. (IE THE VOLUME, OR GAIN CONTROL)

Having adjusted the sub level so that the bass seems twice as apparent you then lower the LPF frequency cut-off until the bass level starts to appear marginally lower. By doing this you will find the natural extent of the LF response of your other speakers.

Once this is identified then you readjust the SUB level (ie gain, be it positive or negative) to get what is an even distribution of bass levels between the car's own speakers and the sub.

Can you find some specs for the active sub/power amp combination.

What is the rolloff slope of the low pass filter. This should be quoted in dB/octave.

TN69, you, too, are completely wrong.

4. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Bass is at the low end of the frequency range. Where as tweeters are at the high end of the frequency range? Explain?

5. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
  6. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
  7. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    That is not always true.. but it doesn't matter...

8. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
  9. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    No I'm saying that other dude should accept he is wrong

10. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    ave you had a bash at setting it all up yet?

11. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    I may be wrong in explaining it. But how the hell can I be wrong about Frequency? Bass is at the low end treble is at the High end Fact....

12. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    20-200Hz is thought of as the bass region
    200-2kHz is thought of as the midrange region
    2kHz-20kHz is thought of as the treble region

This is what I was on about so how am I wrong?

13. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    Just accept it and move on...
    HDi I tried. I tried putting the LPF off then adjust put the level up. Then adjust the LFP. And I had everything on the head unit back to default. It still has the bass drum really loud and the bassline isn't loud enough

14. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine

think this is where HDI is saying your wrong.
    the LPF only adjusts what frequencys are used by the amplier. it dosent increase the bass level itself.

for instance mine allow me between 30Hz and 100Hz its set for 40Hz which gives me a nice punchy bass without all the extra vibrations due to the higher, 40-100Hz, being allowed through and amplified.

15. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    I knew he was wrong... that's why I said he should move on.. but now this has happened. I'm sorry it had to come to this turbo.

16. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.

Accept what? Anyway you should of gone for a Sub and seperate amp as Active subs are never as good as they say they are....

17. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    I think you're just taking it out on me because you were wrong. You know I've already got the bass/amp, I can't get another one now

18. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    You seem to misunderstand me... I was trying to tell you about the frequency levels of bass. I may explain it wrong but I know what I'm on about. I'm not the 1 who can't set up a sub an amp am I? You have been explained how to do it plenty of times and still not done it. I think it is you who should accept that you yourself can't do and take it to a shop.

19. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    You were wrong ok. Wrong, wrong and wrong my friend
    I may not be able to set up a sub and amp, but I can blast it loud... can you? I thought not...
    I have done as I was told to do.. and it hasn't made it the way I wanted. I did it the way he said though

20. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Take a look at these links and then tell me I can't blast it loud. Mate you have nothin on my system. All installed and setup by Myself
    http://www.torquecars.com/forums/members/turbonutter69-albums-my-car-picture2277-28122008019.html

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/members/turbonutter69-albums-my-car-picture2277-28122008019.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32177776@N07/3045061537/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32177776@N07/3010617707/

You have a Walkman compared to my install... So what was you saying?

21. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    Yes mine is better than yours. Yours doesn't look nice at all. Very plain and puny looking...
    Anyway back on topic. What else could I do to fix this?

22. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Ok whatever..........
    You can go out and buy a decent sub and amp................

23. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    Already got one. The sound on it is great. It's 90dB and it goes up another 18dB with bass. That's 108dB.
    The bass can go loud enough to make you bounce on the seats. I just want the mid bass to be vibrating more than the bass drum, that's all

24. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    I honestly don't think your gonna get the sound you want from a Avtive sub? I had a single 12 in my car and that thumped. I only upgraded when I installed the tweeters and midrange in the front cause they drowned out the sub. But now the whole car shakes. The amp is running at 2 ohms which means it's pumping 2400 watts rms. This is why I say you should of had a separate sub and amp deal. How much did it cost?

25. Chris7024

Chris7024 Torque Junkie

Car:
    peugeot 207 1.4
    It cost £100 but that doesn't mean anything. I had good speakers to begin with, the bass was already thumping 10x louder than most cars' factory speakers would. I don't need any more bass or power, it has plenty. I just want the mid bass to be emphasised more than the bass drum. I'm sure you can do this just by modifying the sub settings as HDi was saying.