Storing a car for winter or long term

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever had to store a car? Any tips to pass on? What was the car like when it came out of storage?

A friend of mine stored a Morris Minor for 10 years, the engine still started when the car came out on the second crank! Battery was flat and the bodywork was shot but I was impressed.

I put together an article on storing cars, feel free to add any suggestions or tips and tell us about your experiences.

http://www.torquecars.com/articles/storing-car.php

I think cars should be driven and not stored, if I went abroad for a few years I doubt i'd store my car. I'd probably just sell it until I get back.

If my car had lots of custom work done to it then it would be a different story but you still suffer from depreciation when it's stored and risk causing damage to the car from it siezing up.

I was wondering about this, do you still use ordinary motoring oil or is there a long life storage solution that should be used?

1st time this year for storing 2 cars until the spring, both up on stands, batteries off and hooked up to a "warrior" battery conditioner, wiper blades off and old socks on the arms, used a couple of old tins on the exhaust not rags, both washed and waxed and indoor covers used, did not lube the cylinders as only a 6 month hibernation. I check them every couple of weeks and spin the wheels to check the brakes have not seized on. so far all seems well. When the Summer comes the Winter car may get stored whilst I enjoy the Summer!

I suppose it depends on what and how long you want to store them for?, if it's a long term investment then you can go to silly lengths but some people just abandon the car in the garden and wonder why it's knackered when they come to fire it up! lol

Those are for folks who can afford to store their priceless classics I think?, I went for the council rented brick garage at £9 per week (x2) and made sure they were clean, dry and secure before moving the cars in, I will post up a photo once my profile is unlocked......hint! lol

By contrast some cars just seem indestructible. My mother had an old Daihatsu SportTrack and left it stood for years. Just parked it up one day and never used it again. Many years on when I passed my test I decided to see if it would work. Other than a flat battery needing a charge it fired up first go and drove exactly the same as it always had!

I will post up a photo once my profile is unlocked......hint! :lol:

With 16 posts under your belt you should not be having any problems unless you have lots of naughty points against you!
Any issues buddy then please feel free to PM me and I will look into it for you straight away ;)