Performance Muffler

K

Kiko

Hey, i want to boost the horsepower on my 2001 civic lx coupe. I know a cold air intake would gain me 8HP without consuming more gas, maybe even a tiiinnyy bit less. Now i was wondering about performance exhausts. I heard a good one can help the car's performance and i know nothing about them right now. Does anyone know how much horsepower could i gain by buying one and for how much ? im not looking to spend too much on it. thanx

( i don't want my car to eat more gas ! )

Welcome to the forum mate! How about a powerflow? £320 and an extra 5-10bhp. According to the owner of CC-Customs (Northamptonshire), Powerflow exhaust have actually shown the biggest power gains out of all major performance exhausts.

hey and welcome to the site mate

firstly its near enough impossible to increase power without using more petrol / gas. and if a cod air kit gives you 8 bhp then your doing well. to be honest if you seen 4 or 5 your doing well. for instance a k & n kit on mine will only give around 8 or 9 bhp and thats from a 1.8 turbo.

what will happen is, if your engine is powerful and big enough to start, it will increase the torque of the engine so you wont require as much gas to hold engine speeds. however you will use more going up through the rev range.

your going to have to look around for a local supplier, most of us are uk based think your the 1st ive seen from Canada. going for a custom eshaust will give you a setup to what you want regards loud or quiet. id try and get a proper built system for the car as this will have been designed to work with your engine.

the basic idea is to get the exhaust gases out of the engine as quickly as possible

what size is the engine on the civic ?

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars. The power gains will depend on other mods fitted as the effect is cumulative ie;-

Induction kit 5bhp
Sports exhaust 5bhp
Both together = 13bhp (these are just random examples.)

Just to be really picky PG. (In the main you are dead right power gains cost extra fuel.)

Power can go up without fuel economy cost if you have "increased the efficiency" of the engine. A big V8 with narrow intake and exhaust will get better economy when you have a better intake and exhaust.

Doubt on an already efficient Honda engine you will get better or even the same MPG it should be roughly similar though. (Then there is the fact that you will drive it harder because of the lovely noise it makes ;))