Performance car bargains

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What performanc car bargains have you spotted around. It seems that at the moment you can get a pretty big bang for your buck.

Is it true with them coupe turbos that timming belt is very expensive to do.Guy at work was sourcing 1 out and found out you have to tilt the engine to do it.Says it was very expensive and they not very reiliable too?

Ovlov 850 T5, dark metalic blue, top spec, 164K, 1 years ticket, 1 months tax very clean and tidy car N reg i think, £650 off the forcourt too!!!! there is a K reg Supra non turbo there too in white for £800 thirsty cars seem awful cheap just now.

D

I've not heard that, but I don't think any timing belt is cheap to do. Mine was about £450 quid, thankfully it's a 96,000 mile item so next one not due until 192,000

Unless it's a 8v Punto, then you can do it yourself in about half an hour ;) It's not a difficult job on a lot of cars tbh. Usually just depends on how much room you have to play with and what's in the way.

E46 M3's are coming down in price.

Is it true with them coupe turbos that timming belt is very expensive to do.Guy at work was sourcing 1 out and found out you have to tilt the engine to do it.Says it was very expensive and they not very reiliable too?
Never heard so much drivel, £359 for a belt change, dont call that to expencive, personally I do it myself. Not very reliable? can you quantify that?

Fellow was saying they have a few electrical issues with them.Personally i think 350-400 is expensive for timming belt.Thats just in my opinion.Some people have deeper pockets than others.

droping the engine to replace the cam belt is a bind, but I think it's much more rediculous that you have to take the front bumper off an audi a4 just to change the sidelight bulb (maindealer price £120)

Current model Fords aren't so easily maintained as their elder brethren. Even a Mondeo (01-07) needs the headlights out to change the lamps.

The rear cluster on Fiestas require torx wrenches to access those lamps.

A lot of this is designed in to maintain the revenue stream for service parts and labour. Modern cars are so reliable and the servicing so infrequent that the dealers are suffering.

What they're forgetting, however, is this:

If a car needs two hours dealer labour at dealer prices just to replace some lamps this has a knock on effect on residual value. This means, in turn, that cars with a reputation for being sods to maintain end up being worth less as a used buy. Which then detracts from the value of new models because the dealers are having to offer lower PX values at trade in time.