New Car Restoration Show for ITV Looking to Help

NorthOneTV

Car
Clio 1.2 Desire
Thanks to everyone who has been in touch, it has been fantastic talking to so many of you. There is still a bit of time to get your email applications in to us if you haven't applied already!

Is your beloved project rusting away in the garage? Have you bitten off more than you can chew modding your motor? We could be the answer to your prayers.

North One Television, makers of Speed With Guy Martin, The Gadget Show and Fifth Gear have been asked by ITV1 to make a brand new UK primetime car restoration show and we want to hear about your projects.

We understand that you may not have the time or finances to dedicate to your prized ride; so our team of elite mechanics are standing by to give it the mechanical makeover it so desperately deserves.

Interested? Keen for you and your car to be on TV?

Then please get in touch via CAR.RESCUE@NORTHONETV.COM with details of the car including a picture, a paragraph about yourself and why you deserve to be on the show.

Hi

I have been rebuilding my Lotus Elan for around 10 years but I am not interested in having someone else finish it. However, I do have an opinion on your proposed programme, hopefully constructive.

There are a lot of car programmes around at the moment. Unfortunately most of them seem to be made by non-car people. The presenters may be car nuts but the producers and directors seem not to be. The programmes appear to be aimed at the general population so there has to be excitment, crisis's and faked stresses between the participants.

There is one thing every car programme seems to have in common, an unrealistic time constraint. Please try to avoid this tired cliche. If you are restoring cars that have been in a garage for years there will not be a time constraint, unless it is fabricated (excuse the pun).

Also, many of the programmes pretend that all the work is done by the people in the programmes. A little research soon proves that this isn't the case. Please try and keep the programme real, this would separate it from the crowd :)

My biggest gripe is that you could almost watch most of these programmes by simply watching the preamble before the start and the advert breaks. I don't want to see what is coming as it spoils the fun, so I record them so I can fastforward these bits and the adverts. I assume that this is done in order to keep the non car nut interested and save on filming time.

A suggestion that may make the programme a little more interesting to beginners - How about a "how to" segement?
Eg, Welding, panel beating, fibreglass repairs, suspension bush replacement, lowering a car properly. I am sure forum members can suggest more.

While I am on a roll :) :) what about showcasing the various tools available for car resorters?

I am looking forward to seeing the programme, but please don't follow the tired, and lazy, format of most of the others.

And please, please, don't let Bernie Fineman anywhere near the set! He gives serious restorers a bad name and not a single one of my car friends has a good word for him and his programmes are avoided like the plague.

I would love my car to be finished by someone else, to a much higher standard than I could achieve, but then it wouldn't be all my work, so I'll just plod on and try to get it presentable by my self imposed deadline of the end of August :)

Exactly. Also, when travelling at over 170mph I want to be sure that everything is tight :)