Torque Cars

My carputer install

Discussion in 'ICE installs' started by pgarner, 13 November 2008.

1. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    the problem you also have is power. the power supply that i had in mine could only manage 120w or something. so with a processor that develops 90w TDP then your already over that by the time you added in the motherboard.

the little falls 2 board that i was using only drew around 30w in total. the total system including the touch ran less than 60w.

heat wasnt much of an problem as even trying to fit a mini itx in the dash was going to be problematic so i fitted it to a slim line case and bolted it to the back of the seat. cables ran from under the backseat through the central console to the headunit.

as for connecting to the amp, i did look at this but decided to increase the length of the loom for the headunit and fitted it beside the case in the boot. then all i did was run the speaker output from the MB to the aux input on the head unit.

not building on it any more as the car has since been written off so the computer is now going to be rebuilt for a home server

the laptop idea sounds good if you could connect the ignition into the power button. touchscreen could be connected up through the additional VGA output and usb.
    this would allow you to have the laptop in standby when the car is off and be playing music within seconds of starting the car.

davalav aye heat is a big problem withsome of the bigger cpus, my i5 sits around 30 idle and 50 under full load at 4.8ghz, and thats under water cooling. my old x2 5000+ used to sit around 23 idle and 70 loaded at 3.2ghz.
    all temps are actual and not DTemps ambiant temp in the room is usually around 20-22