Lying garages

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have garages, main dealers or mechanics ever lied* to you about something?

*(perhaps lie is a little strong, maybe they were just giving you a sales pitch or were mis understanding or misinterpreting the facts!)

Yes 2 garages! :(

1) One told me that they had fully serviced my car and it was ready to collect, yet how did they check the tyre pressures when it had locking valve caps and the key was in the boot untouched?

2) A garage that took an awful lot of money from me to fit a Quaife LSD to my car. It was a couple of years later that I found out that Quaife do not do one for the SAAB auto box. I have since got the money back but had to lose money paying debt collectors to do it.

I've been told I need a new full exhaust system and catalyst when only the back box needed replacing. National tyre services are not on my most trusted list of garages at the moment.

Another told me I'd have to get a new gearbox when all that I needed was a new link in the gear selector cable which had become slack!

Unfortunately it only takes one or two bad experiences to tar them all with the same brush. Harder to find an honest garage these days but when we do we should ring their praises.

I've had a car fail an MOT, fixed the fault then find something else wrong in the time between the retest. When I took it back I said there's a noise from the front. Nothing wrong on collection they say. On the way home noise still there. So I buy a jack, axle stands etc (2nd car and 18 at the time) decide to investigate. No pads, metal to metal! Hard to believe they passed this on the MOT. Lesson learned!

I have a very honest garage, they are always telling me to stop being paranoid and come back when the noise or problem gets much worse then have it dealt with.

There have been a few dodgy services from garages in the past but now i've found a good one I'm going to stick to them.

One garage put 1 litre too much oil in on a service! I've also been charged for replacing air filters when the original was left in there.

There was one garage I went to when my moronic step dad replaced the AUX belt on my old 306 as he put it on the wrong way and it slipped off, slicing a coolant pipe.

Instead of taking the lower rad hose out, he merely put in a steel tube and clamped it then filled it back up with water. No coolant, just water.