Things that wind Garages up

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We've done the threads about garages and what they do that winds us up. Now it's time for the mechanics revenge.

What things do customers do or say to garage mechanics that wind them up?

I think Vague things like "its making a funny noise" when describing a fault is not helpful.

What about the old "it was working before you had it. And then they go on to explain how the electric mirrors or seat were fine before you did an oil change."

Do you think these people are stupid or just try things on? :)

There's plenty but i'll start with having cars dropped off for upgrades and tuning or running faults with NO bloody petrol in them. Even after warning the customers prior to this and them acknowledging it, they still arrive with the fuel light on. If a car is delivered via the AA/RAC after a breakdown then it's a potentially unavoidable situation so that's fair enough.
You would think that by telling them that fuel will be charged at £10/gallon that it would incite them to top it up first. I'm sure that someone will say that's robbery but if i have to use fuel [my company fuel] to send a mechanic to the garage [in my time in one of our cars] to top up a jerry can, then that's the price it is. It's a fifteen/twenty minute round trip to the petrol station. Our labour rates are £45/hour plus the government's cut.

me!! i managed to get my mrs back £19 yesterday cause the garage changed her wiper blades and rear indicators without her consent the indicators worked cause i checked all the lights sunday and the blades were fine cause i checked them to and we have a spare set of blades in the garage anyway and the garage owner really didnt like it when i said he was taking advantage of her and its always funny how they can never find the parts that where taken off aint it (she wont be going there again)

me again i took my car to a garage for a quote for front end repair on my old nova and he wrote me an estimate out and i said can you write me a quote for a 2nd time he wrote me an estimate i said no can you do me a quote for a 3rd time he wrote an estimate in the end i had to say you can add money on to an estimate but you cant on a quote without my consent and begrudgeingly he wrote me a quote in the end

i am with country on this one about petrol 2 times last week we had cars run out of petrol while doing a mot and then they was oh no what i am to do now well the light has been one for at least 40 mile i know we all get low sometimes but if your bringing it in for a fault were you have to take it out on the road fill it up

2 being late more so on the mots we book every 45 mins so no one can be late people turn up 20 mins late and wonder why you cant do there test

and no locking wheel nut key in the car oh its at home no good at home when you are miles away and you have a flat

phoning up after 20 mins is it done yet

sorry to the aa about this with out you guys most cars wll be on the side of the road still
but people belive what the aa tell them yes this is whats wrong with your car no its not the aa said its this or i have checked this bit so its not that and always turns out to be that bit and wont belive you

done for now lol

Customers who take the car in with a fault when the garage hasn't seen the car for 30,000 miles and swear blind it's something the garage did last time it was in (ie. 30,000 miles ago).

Then the have the audacity to ask why this is the case?

If you're so bloody confident in your theory, YOU justify it!

Customers who phone up and expect us to not only diagnose their fault over the phone but tell them where to get the parts. We do like helping people and are happy to help out over the phone but we really can't fix everyone's motor on the phone, we are a garage, not a charity, twenty minutes of help on the phone may not sound like much but you multiply that by six or seven times a week and it adds up. Whilst we're helping on the phone, we're not working on a customers car and that is time we can't charge for.
Far too many people think running a garage is easy going. Try it some time, it's a business, we pay corporation tax, v.a.t. etc, have to abide by all the anti pollution laws in place so waste oil, brake fluid, coolant etc etc is collected by a proper agency, this costs, lots.
Insurance is not cheap. Try the electricity bill for all the lights, electric consumables like the huge compressor we have, the ramps etc.
Manitenance of equipment and power tools. Cleaning costs. There's the usual office costs.
Staff wages and it's nice to be able to pay yourself too.

You go shopping but do you go onto a shopping forum and complain about how much Tesco makes on a tin of beans ? I assure you that in comparison [%] it's a hell of a lot more than an average garage makes on parts.
Of course there are garages out there who do sub standard work and try to scam people, much the same as you get scammed by our illustrious government. The difference is that you can choose your garage from one visit to another, you're stuck with corrupt politicians forever.