Little city cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Can you see us all driving round in Little city cars which sip petrol in 10 years or so?

What do you think the future holds for the motorist?

little city cars,
this word makes me think of suicide.
dunno, however, i'd rather go for powerful electric cars for in the city, and outside it, ethanol cars.

just please, don't mention smart cars.

nope i live out in the country so a city cars no good for me,i need something that can cope with the hills around here and more than a carrier bag of shopping in the boot

Like yourself, PG, I need more than a few dozen miles' range so liquid fuel is the best I can do for now. If I had to use a tiny car (not much fun at 6'4", especially for the poor soul sat beind me in the back seat) then I think it would be either Yaris Verso D4D or a Micra 1.5dCi.

Both are great to drive, not nearly as quick as the machinery you and I drive currently but still adequate and with a little bit more than the insipid tiny petrol engines that are offered for the pensioner market.

The Micra, especially, is a truly stunning little car with go-kart handling and braking prowess that can make a 911 driver think about staying back a few more feet.

Personally i hope to have my current car in 10 years - gas guzzling glanza lol

Everything new nowadays aimed at the general motorist is enviormentaly sound . Cant read a car review without hearing about Co2 emissions . Sure with global warming already a fear and that big hole in the ozone layer, what u say is true in 10 years

RobBentley will be one of the cleanest in terms of CO2 footprint if he's still using the same car in 10 years time. After all, if he's not changing it then a replacement car need not be made and the factory is the dirtiest part of the cars whole life.

He'll be far cleaner than the person who goes through 5 Toyota Prius hybrids in the same time.

the problem with that charger is where do you get the ethanol from ?
youd need to grow a lot more crops to get the alcohol, but if your growing all this for the alcohol what about crops for food and livestock. the price of food would go up due to there being less of it, or the price of the ethonol fo rthe same reason.
hydrogen is looking like the way forward but its seperating from everything else cheaply the now thats the problem

ELectric cars still need charging. And electricity generation involves fossil fuels or nuclear fuels. The batteries really are questionable when it comes to environment pollution at dispolsal time. Quite apart from the pollution created in their manufacture.

The best thing we could all do is not buy a car for ten years - just keep the ones we have well serviced and running properly.

Solar powered cars for those countries that can use them - at least this would cut some emissions. or what car companies could do to cut their environmental impact is just give very very basic interiors, no more thick carpets, just the steel floor or the car, now more fancy door panels just very lightweight and functional.

It's a nice idea. What would really work is a public transport system that is actually useable. I'm still not a fan of planet saving - mankind is not mighty enough to do much damage to the Earth. And what damage he can do is limited by the 80 years of fossil fuels remaining.

the problem with public transport is that it can only really work in cities - when i lived in london i almost always used the tube or a bus as they were along every 15minutes and you can get to, or very close to the place you want to go. Public transport is just not viable in the countryside - i used to live in central scotland and their were two buses a day, this was it. its not possible to have a frequent multi destination service from the countryside. (i used the bus once from their - 1hour to go 11 miles - hated every minute of it)

ditto, where abouts in c.scotland were you from ?
got the bus to the town just before xmas for a night out, cost £4.70 to go 12 miles, had i relised it was that much (havent been on a bus up here for around 3 years) and considering there was 4 of us i would have got a taxi or dumped the car in the town and went back for it the next day

I, too, am in the middle of nowhere land. Sure, I can get a train to London - that means a 15 mile drive to the train station, £11 to park for the day, £21 for the return ticket. Great!

And the fifteen miles I drive to and from the train station are the dirty, cold start miles.

So much for a publice transport system.

Gordon Brown should relocate to the moon, at least there he can practise his amateur methods without causing harm to anyone else.