Illegal to work on a car at the roadside

I think emergency repairs are ok but the way I read it other minor non essential work like servicing, changing brake pads and doing engine swaps are no no's!

If you mean getting rid of cars jacked up on blocks with engines out and left there for months because an idea ran out of money or interest, yes, i'm all for it.

As with all legal jargon it is actually quite hard to make sense of the point of this. If anyone can translate it I'm sure this would be well received!

the idea is to stop businesses from doing up/servicing/repairing cars in the road.
if its your own car its still okay to do it as long as you are not doing it for monetry gain.

i think lol

This is dated 2005, is it the most up to date one?

Reading this clause the can prosecute anyone carrying out any kind of repair on the road:
''A person is not to be convicted of an offence under this section in relation to any works if he proves to the satisfaction of the court that the works were not carried out . . . for gain or reward.''
It can always be argued that their is some gain from fixing a vehicle, even if just to get it going again, as if it is running when previously it wasnt then a gain has been achieved.

My reading is that if a repair company comes out to repair your car they are also liable as this goes against the bill.

In essence its a load of cr@p which a good lawyer could probably swing any way they wanted.

If you mean getting rid of cars jacked up on blocks with engines out and left there for months because an idea ran out of money or interest, yes, i'm all for it.

So you would be all for it if it was your car at the roadside/outside your house with a broken drive shaft which is on a 2 month back order because you happen not to have a driveway and live in a terrace ????

in that case your not working on it for any real reason. what i think CB is getting at is those who buy a shed with great ideas getting half of it done then giving up.

where as yours is more a breakdown situation which cant be fixed at the current momet.

reading into that link i cant even do repairs out he back of my flat as its
''road' has the same meaning as in the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984''.

The Library note helpfully tells us that, in section 142 of the Act, a road is defined as

''any length of highway or any other road to which the public has access''.

which means although there is only myself and the 3 businesses that use it i could be still be charged.