high flow cats illegal?

shaggydappa1

Wrench Pro
Car
audi a3 NON-TURBO!
Are high flow cats illegal? I've just put it on thinking it's legal, now I've heard it's illegal.
Any m.o.t inspectors out there able to help?

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you still meet emissions requirements (which you should with a new cat) then I'm pretty sure you will be fine. Decats are illegal (but only if you fail emissions) and some cars can still pass emissions even with a decat.

You will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cats are fitted by manufacturers so that their cars pass the latest emission regulations.

The cat itself doesn't form part of the MOT. However, it is very unlikely that a modern car would pass the test without one. Whether a car would pass with a sports cat or a decat will only become apparent on test day :)

Anyone actually tried it?

Cats are fitted by manufacturers so that their cars pass the latest emission regulations.

The cat itself doesn't form part of the MOT. However, it is very unlikely that a modern car would pass the test without one. Whether a car would pass with a sports cat or a decat will only become apparent on test day :)

Anyone actually tried it?

Cats are hardly new either. Since 91/92 new cars have been thus equipped. We should be at the point now that we just leave the cat(s) to do cat(s) things.

Last Saturday I had a 3" downpipe with a 200cl CAT fitted to my Saab, and yesterday morning I had a MOT done at a main dealer and the Beast sailed through, hope this helps! :)

Cats are hardly new either. Since 91/92 new cars have been thus equipped. We should be at the point now that we just leave the cat(s) to do cat(s) things.

whilst i see your point, the cat is STILL, 18 years on, as restrictive as running 100m breathing through a drinking straw!

Back to MOT law, it is afaik a requirement to have a CAT fitted, however, as has been said, if your car passes emissions, then most testers will not fail you for not having one, as the exhaust/emissions system as a whole passes its VOSA guidelines for use.

a newer engine should have no problems passing emissions without a cat, but as an example, my VR6 would never get away with it due to the amount of fuel it uses :sad2:

I understand that manufacturers are now compelled to fit them.

However, according to MOTester.co.uk:

"The MOT regulations say nothing about a vehicle having a catalytic converter. They merely set emission levels which have to be achieved if the vehicle is first used after a specific year. Certainly some cars with every efficient engines could achieve the required emission levels without a catalytic converter."

That's what I thought as well. There is probably also an issue of noise pollution if the de-cat renders the car exceptionally noisy.

The problem with noise is that it's incredibly hard to measure accurately. THere are no absolute units of noise or sound pressure level.

Apparent loudness is even harder to determine.

Luton matt would be the man to ask - MOT tester and all

im sure he has said in the past that he had a car fail with the cat on , loped it off and it passed without one.

I had a sports cat on my Rover and it passed the MOT with flying colours, the sport cat was actually more efficient than the standard restrictive Rover one.