Buying illegal fuel

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would you be tempted to buy illegal fuel?

Red diesel, home brewed bio fuels or perhaps even stolen regular fuel?

What are the implications and issues with doing so? (Moral, penal and ethical)...

I won't lie, I have tried Red diesel, my step dad knew a guy who owns many tractors and boats, and sold it to him for a £1 a litre. I would never use stolen fuel! If I were to find out about it, I'll report them to the police. Kind of undermining my own argument there, but morally using Red Diesel isn't that bad...

Many of the 306 diesel tuners, convert to bosch pumps so they can run on veg oil.

Running red diesel on the road is almost a hanging offence!

Buying cheap fuel is similar to buying cheap drugs, it is likely to end in tears. Both drugs and fuel are diluted to make greater profits.

i would buy it why not with times getter harder every little helps

a lads dad from my college always has 100 litre drums of diesel for sale its just one of thing no questions asked

I haven't yet but now I own a diesel my mate has offered to me the use of his company fuel card I may use it I'm not sure yet

Who mentioned diluting with water?

Apparently, Toluene paint stripper can be used up to around 50/50 mix. I have no idea what this would do to an engine.

I do like to know where my fuel's coming from in fairness I have too much time, money and effort in my car to screw it with dodgy fuel. If of course I could buy some liberated fuel knowing where it came from just without the £1+ tax on it then quite possibly, who wouldn't? Fact is we get raped for fuel over here and I for one am getting a little tired of it

As of 11 April:

Belguim - 140.8p
Sweden - 141.3
UK - 142.0
Denmark - 143.0
Greece - 145.0
Italy - 146.5
Holland - 148.0
Turkey - 162.0
Norway - 164.0

I Am not bothered with the ethics but I am with Rudders666 I prefer to know where its come from.

Legally, using red diesel is wrong, morally? That's debatable, especially when red costs 75ppl and clear is 140ppl, most of which is tax and tax on top of tax. Personally, I don't use it, I haven't got a spare £500 to pay the fine if I get caught but I don't have a problem with people who do.

Here in Ireland, it would surprise you how many cars are running on it. Part of my job is working with end of life vehicles and the depollution of same, and I would hazard a guess to at least half of them being full of red.

There are a few clandestine 'clubs' running where say, 20 drivers put in £25 each and everyone fills up with red. When someone gets caught, the fine is paid and everyone puts in another £25 and the whole process starts again.

'Washed' diesel is another big thing here. The dye is removed from red diesel using white earth, £60 for a bag which treats around 1,000 litres of diesel. A laundering plant was recently discovered near my house in an old quarry. People had been in washing diesel for 2-3 months, the farmer who owned the quarry discovered the operation, came in the next day with a digger and squashed the whole thing up. There wasn't anything more said about it.

Yes, it might seem like I know a lot about this sort of thing but I have nothing to do with it, my job just leads me to deal with people from all walks of life and I see a lot of stuff.

Also, my first post. Hello!

Hey TN, dono what they used but we discovered a fuel station when I was younger that definately doctored their fuel with something, caused endless problems in my dads car and that wasn't the only one, water paint stripper what ever it is, I'm just saying I know for a fact there are people that do it.