How organised are your tools

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How organised do you keep your tools? Do you always know exactly where they are, where they should be or haven't a clue where they are!

I'm pretty organised until I start working with them and I can literally lose a tool within seconds of putting it down! I'm sure I'm not alone here.

My tool box is extremely organised. I never have to search for a tool in there, everything is laid out nicely in plain sight as soon as you open the drawer, no tool is sitting over another, everything is single layered in each drawer and sorted from smallest to biggest and separated metric from standard.

However, I can also lose a tool within seconds of putting it down, I focus too much on the job and not on the tool in my hand and I'll put it down without even realizing it sometimes.

However, at the end of the day I go through every single drawer in my tool box and if there is anything missing I search for it and don't go home until it is found and put away. My tool box is also locked at all times and I only unlock it to take out a tool or put one back. I got tired of other people coming to use my tools and not returning them just because they were too lazy to walk across the shop and get their own.

I'm a nightmare. Use things so often when I'm at home that even if I tidy them all up they're everywhere again with a couple of days. I'm also terrible for putting tools down and losing them in 30 seconds. Also spending ages looking for a tool I'm actually holding in my hand :lol:

tool.jpg

everything has its place in my box and is only tidy when ever i clean it up as i am a mechanic i am always using them so are never in order but always in the right draws

but sometimes does take a while to find the right draw tool box is quite big 53in wide 5ft tall

but can lose anything with in sec's not only tools worst ones are my glasses have not long had them so still not used to having them

Getting there. Bought losts of tool cabinets so most tools now have a home. I seem to lose hammers and tape measures so I now have lots of them scattered around (bit like a squirrel and his acorns) so I can usually find one wherever I am :)

i have a box that all the tools live in but amazingly they seem to come alive at night and walk out of it, but only the ones i need for the next job.

i often 'lose' them in my back pocket and can spend ages looking for them.

i have a large shadow board on the wall of my workshop so everything has its place and can see in an instant if any tool is missing my tools and only i use them :D:D:D

I put my tools very safely back to toolbox. As I am in the automotive industry, we have to maintain workshop safety precautions so that not to harm ourselves as well as the engines. It also counted as a good workshop practice. The measurement tools like Mic & Verniers has to be handled carefully to maintain it's accuracy too. :eek:

I have a lot of tools collected from over the years, My Aircraft engine overhaul tools are never used these days, so they are kept in a wooden chest properly rustproofed.

I have one set of British Standard Whitworth (BSW), One set of British standard fine(BSF) One set of B A(British association), One set of American fine(AF)One set of BSP(British standard Pipe) and All Metric sizes.
I use the BSW, BSF, and BA a lot for my classic car restoration projects.

My precision tools are all British,Swiss and American, with a few Mitutoyos , tried using digital readout vernier calipers, could not get used to them, plus the batteries used to give out when you most needed the tool! These days I tend to forget where I leave my tools, so lose quite a few.

my car tools are scattered about the house, porch, car and garage but i know exactly where everything is (until the wife moves them and forgets where she has put them:mad:)

my work tools are either on a job, in the car or in the garage (im more organised with them and know even if someone borrows a tool without asking cause they all have a specific place;))

Dont have a workshop, but i am building up a collection of basic tools. normally well organised, if i lose them they are easy to find again, nine times out of ten they will be in my friends garages and sheds. apparently all my mates suffer with borrowed tool specific amnesia.

nope my tools can be anywhere and everywhere. normally know where i have left them unless im using them.
spent 15 mins looking for a socket the other day that i had left on a bolt

My tool wall (thought I had better get the wall in there, now you know I'm organised don't you.......) started off with everything in place. There was a nail or a tack in it for everything I owned. The problem is, is after spending a day or two on my motor once I have finished all my tools are scattered across the floor, in the side doors of my car, in my boot, on the work bench, ect ect. I just give up and drive away. I haven't got a clue where my 8mm, 10mm, 13mm spanners are. Nor do I know where my 8mm, 10mm and 13mm sockets are, nor my adjustable spanner, nor my long handled flat head screwdriver or my hammer for that matter. They have all disappeared. I know exactly where my feela gages are, my square, my hack saw and all my other tool that I never use!!!!:-x

Its just the ones I use all the time that have gone!!!!!!

Extremely well organised! tools are in special kits, special pallets, special compartment trays, and according to "her indoors", I am just like some american detective character called Monk who is a bit of an obsessive compulsive! must get around to watching that sometime :)

My room is an actual tip. But my tools are in toolbox's lined up side by side.

Well judge for your self =D

Monk is pretty good. I think he has OCD and uses his attention to detail and general analness to solve crimes.

Last edited:
My tools are not even in the same place, some are under the stairs, some in the garage, and there are some in the loft and the garden shed.

I usually waste time looking at 3 wrong locations before I finally find the tool I'm needing!

Are you more organised than me?

Extremely organised actually. I much prefer wherever possible to use toolboxes with built in tool pallets, this way most of the tools have a home and it is much easier to see if you have left something behind.

Mine are all in their own specific drawers/locations.

I do have 4 boxes and that is just at work....

I do have another toolbox at home which is the same.

I have an odd bag of tools that have all sorts in and is just a mess.

We all have one skeleton hidden somewhere ha ha

I also keep everything locked up, there are many people with sticky fingers.