How do you choose your battery

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When you get a new car battery how do you decide which to buy?

What do you know about the labelling on batteries?

I think a lot of people take whatever the parts supplier recommends regardless of the battery rating/cranking power. Is this a bad thing? Do you think it makes a difference to your car?

(I'm planning an article on batteries so would like to know what people are interested in, if there is a need for the article, and I want to see what technical points to cover.)

i look at the current battery and review how well it has worked for me. If it has issues cranking the vehicle when hot/cold then i look for one with a bit more umph. other than that i prefer diehard batteries.

How do you tell then if the new one has more umph? Do you look at amps/watts/volts etc....

What about sealed maintainence free batteries over top up batteries?

i had a small battery in the car when i bought it
about 3 months ago, the car decided when it would start or not

my neighbour had a look and said the battery is too small fir that car, so he swapped me a battery out of a 2.0 opel omega

ever since then it has been perfect
so it is important to get the right 1 for your car

recenyley ive put 2 custom gauges in my car 1 for water temp, the other for batt amp

it always reads about 13 amp never below 12 or above 14
i think this is the correct amp to have from a car battery for those who have amp readers in your car

i had a small battery in the car when i bought it
about 3 months ago, the car decided when it would start or not

my neighbour had a look and said the battery is too small fir that car, so he swapped me a battery out of a 2.0 opel omega

ever since then it has been perfect
so it is important to get the right 1 for your car

recenyley ive put 2 custom gauges in my car 1 for water temp, the other for batt amp

it always reads about 13 amp never below 12 or above 14
i think this is the correct amp to have from a car battery for those who have amp readers in your car

Can't see the point of an ammeter in any car that has an alternator. THey only had a use in the old dynamo days.