Have you ever had a blow out

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I don't think I actually know anyone who has had a blow out in there car.

I know a couple of friends who have had wheels come off (and neither noticed until they started braking or turning a corner!)

If you did have a blow out what do you think caused it? Heat, sidewall damage, debris on the road, Wear and tear ....?

Yes in the works van on the Motorway.
The rear near side tyre discombobulated while passing two lorries, the van lurched suddenly to the left straight in between the the lorries. The only warning was a slight vibration just before hand. The rear tyres on my van are filled to 65psi, the tyre took out all the trim around the wheel arch & had to go into a body shop to be repaired.

Tyres (& vans) get a lot of abuse in our job because the accesses we use tend to be covered in ballast & all sorts metal clips & other foreign items can be hidden in there. Rails kept on the side of the track can also damage side walls when driving past, especially at night when visibility is low & your reversing the van down a narrow track, for example.

Tyre fitters make a lot of money from the railway! :lol:

I once asked a lorry driver what it's like when a front tyre lets go, he just said it's no fun at all! :lol:

I experienced a very rapid front tyre deflation on the A27 in early 1989. Not quite a blowout as the tyre remained on the rim but I had a serious job getting the car to safety.

when i was a alot younger and had no respect for other drivers or rules of the road i went round a roundabout at speed and front left tyre blew from bein a poor tyre tbh. car spun and i hit a barrier in the central res at rush hour. no control at all. lucky to walk away with no damage to me and new front bumper for sri.

not had the experience myself but was overtaking a truck in Vietnam and one of the tyres rear tyres blew out, luckily i was at the front end but it was snaking all over the road as the driver tried to get it under control. Truck tyres in Vietnam have almost no tread and are used typically used until destruction, the problem is if one tyre blows the weight (usually the massively overloaded weight) then gets transferred to the remaining worn out tyres and so the likely hood is they could go as well. Really not the most exciting thing to be thinking of when overtaking.

unfortunately so. Not sure if the reason was a blow out but we went past an accident, a minibus had the whole side ripped out of it by the front end of are artic - not clear who was in the wrong but it was very nasty, a number of dead.