Ever had a blow out

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I think one of the most frightening things to happen to a driver is a blow out on a front tyre.

Has this happened to anyone here? What did you do when it happened?

aye well i was going round the roundabout to join the motorway when i heard a clunk as i straightend up hmmmm that was odd, didnt have time to stop as i was picking my mum up from work, so i carried on as i wasnt expecting the wheel to come off, i continued down the motorway and my steering whell had a slight judder, must need balancing i continued and had to over take a few cars i was not speeding at any point thank god, i was now in the outside lane and the judder got worse, hmmmm i need to pull over then just as i turned to pull back into the inside lane, whats that *BANG* ahhh i suppose thats my wheel, i manganed to keep control of the car keeping it to the outside lane and got it up as close to the barrier as possible jumped out of the car and legged it to the hard shoulder, i managed to get the hazards on too.

there was a unmarked police car behind me so they pulled over i was like oh noes im in deep shiz, but they just made sure i was ok got me in the car asked for my details rang the highway agency who then drove it on its disc to the hard shoulder and then they wre on there way, this was a nightmare my breakdown cover had run out i didnt renew cos i had no money, so had to pay to rejpoin the rac to get them out, then had to get a flat bed, i was very lucky no one else was involved and there no damage done to the car,

this was not very long ago, i had just had the vts a few months, however it was entirely my fault as much as i hate to say it :( i was working on the car a few weeks ago after work nothing huge just putting on my front bumper and removing the standard air box for my new filter, so i zipped the wheel on with the gun, got the car off the ramp, then started to fit my air filter, by this time it was at least 7 in the evening, i had a long drive home from work so was stupidly rushing trying to fit a silly air filter, i guess i was excited about the silicone hoses :lol: and in my rush i locked up the garage and completly forgot to torque up the wheel, then is came off a few weeks later at the worst possible time :( well ive learnt from that, i couldnt understand why, i always torqued up wheels always, even when doing a intermediate service i would check the wheel where at the correct torque but on my own car i just forgot in this instance

so a lesson never rush work on a car! double check EVERYTHING

Had one as a passenger once, the driver handled it rather well but the lad in the back with me dropped a brick! Was gripping the seats and everything haha. Not too long ago I had my discs replaced and a jammed piston freed at the local garage, all was well until I noticed a judder in the steering which worried me.

Anyhow I had the main squeeze lean out of the window and have a look at the front n/s wheel to see if it was wobbling (sure enough it was) I pulled over sharpish and got the tool kit out - which was a mission as I was moving house and the boot was FULL of stuff - and managed to tighten THREE nuts. Went mental at the garage.

Got a free MOT :amuse:

Not had this happen to me - as he looks around for a bit of wood to touch! :) but I did witness an EVO at Snetterton a while ago, front wheel came off on the track, what a mess! serious damage was done to the underside. The car had to be lifted off the track and taken away, when they got back to the pitlane all hell broke loose amongst the team. It was like a comedy show, 'I thought you tighten those @@@@@ nuts' 'wasn't me that was his job' 'no it was him not me he had the brace' :lol:

"Ever had a blow out"

Yes, once in 1991 when I completely misread a minor road south of Launceston which crossed a major road (A388) . Wet day as well. I was approaching the Xroads far far too fast.

Signage was a tiny bit weak but in absolute fairness I was going too fast - my fault - no excuses.

So I intentionally put the car up a kerb to avoid crossing the major road (A388) Cost me a new rim and tyre and a full alignment.

Bad bit of driving by me.:embarrest:

Friend of mine just had a nasty blow out at 70 but made it safely to the hard shoulder. His tyres were in pretty bad condition IMO so he was asking for trouble.

Not had a blowout but similar to HDI we hit a kerb (or one of those central crossing islands). Hitting about 50 in a Jaguar X-Type and we hit it square with the driver side wheel. Would you believe it though, the car was fine. Not a scratch, no damage to the wheels or tyre... I will never understand how we managed that.

Well sort of. Couldn't get the locking wheel nuts off of a Sierra Cosworth I had bought as keys were missing. One rear tyre developed a large bulge on the inside sidewall so it had to be changed. Driving VERY slowly to my favourite tyre shop the tyre went bang. As I was only doing around 10-15 it wasn't a problem but driving back home at 5mph messed the tyre up somewhat. Fortunately, as it was a low profile tyre, the beads stayed in place so the alloy wasn't damaged.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1584&stc=1&d=1331934407

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1585&stc=1&d=1331934846

Attachments

• sec tyre (1).jpg
    sec tyre (1).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3
  • sec tyre (5).jpg
    sec tyre (5).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 3
I had a blow out about 2 weeks back.
A friend and I was driving back to his place the evening on a terrible piece of road and as we were talking and joking in the car I hit a really deep pothole. Heard a "thump" sound and carried on driving. Thinking in the back of my mind that I would check it when we get to his place.

Before I could finish that thought the front left tyre popped and pulled the car to the left. I tried to correct it as well as I could but unfortunately it had happened just before a bend and when I got the car under control I was faced with a sidewalk right infront of me.

Choose to climb it, luckily there were no buildings close by. My car was lowered so when I hit it, it buckled both front wheels and cracked the sump. Leaking all the oil out of the engine. Needed a flatbed to get it home.

Initially damage didnt seem to bad but the insurance assessor had a different view and decided to write it off. The car was an astra mk4 1.8 sport, our equivalent to the SRI model I think.

Ha ha......after listening to all of yours stories...it seems like ok even this kind of thing can happen with cars!!!
OMG....Never till now....hope it wont:):):):):)

well just a couple of hours ago my wishbone bolt snapped sending me into a 70 mph skid, i managed to hold it to the side of the road, that was pretty scary.

v70rbroke.jpg

v70rbroke2.jpg