E10 Ethanol fuel warning

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Porsche's web site states that E10 Ethanol fuel is NOT suitable for ANY 924 model, they suggest that owners contact their OPC to seek possible solutions to this new fuel that is now being introduced in the UK.
Avoid this fuel if you can as it can cause problems in fuel systems including increased internal rusting of fuel lines tanks etc, it can also cause increased reactions between unlike metals used in fuel injection systems.
To "gen up" on this it may be worth doing a web search and reading articles with regard to possible problems and suitable alternative fuel types.
I dont want to panic anybody but hope this saves damage to our cars and prevents any long term problems.

The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) is about to carry out laboratory tests of this fuel due to concerns over it's corrosive effects. It wiil also test commercially available additives to assess their effectiveness. In addition to it's aggressive reaction to differing metals, it can also attack older seals in the carb/FI systems.
Millers Oils are one of several firms offering additives intended to combat this.

Me too. Audi have already said that FSI engines do not like biofuels or fuels with a biofuel additive - and most pump fuels now contain Ethanol!

Most do [contain Ethanol] but it's generally capped at 5% which should not be a problem with any car designed to run on unleaded petrol.

Car's requiring the protection of tetra-ethyl lead may well suffer if biofuels are used in anything more than tiny dilutions.

Personally I'm all in favour of sustainable fuel crops but there has to be some leeway It makes ecological sense but if an engine is damaged by bio-ethanol then it's going to chuck out dirty gases. Further, if a new engine is required then what's the environmental cost of producing that engine? Probably far greater than the environmental cost of allowing the use of pure petroleum derived fuels.

Anyway, how many classic cars are out there and how many miles do they actually cover each year?

This is a little above my head this. I know the diff between octain ratings and I know tesco's 99 momentum is crap.

Will this affect other cars? Will it affect the 98 I stick in my car?

:embarrest:Sorry for being a dumb arse :lol:

tescos is actually quite good, just depends on your car if its better than others.

basically to help boost the octane rating alcohol is added

tescos is actually quite good, just depends on your car if its better than others.

basically to help boost the octane rating alcohol is added

:sad2: Thats not good for my car. The Tesco 99 stuff was terrible. It sounded and preformed worse then when I had to put 95 into her because I was out of fuel and they had no other.

It could just be my car. I find Shell do the best, but I cant get that anywhere, BP is ok, but again cant get hold of it. Texico is ok, but that is only 97. So I'm restricted to a local garage charging 145.9 a L. :(

I tried Momentum 99 in mine and it's OK but Shell's V-Power and even Shell's basic 95RON is better. Performance is stronger on 99RON but not enough to justify the cost.