Can you buy E85 Bio Ethanol in the UK

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've done a lot of research on this one, Morrisons stocked E85 at some of their outlets back in 2007 but this was withdrawn.

You can buy it on auction sites but this is designed for use in fireplaces and not in car engines, which is a shame! It also costs about £2 per litre.

If anyone knows of someone supplying E85 fuel in the uk, even if it's in drums please post up here so we can all know about it.

I've done a lot of research on this one, Morrisons stocked E85 at some of their outlets back in 2007 but this was withdrawn.

You can buy it on auction sites but this is designed for use in fireplaces and not in car engines, which is a shame! It also costs about £2 per litre.

If anyone knows of someone supplying E85 fuel in the uk, even if it's in drums please post up here so we can all know about it.

It has to be Road Duty paid!!! I am not sure either if E85 is compatible with all seals and hoses

Not many cars can safely use it though. Most pump fuels have E85 added but they keep the percentage low. I don't like the fact that something potentially damaging has been added to the fuel and kept so quiet!

I must admit to never having seen a petrol station with E85 on sale, not even a motorway service station.

Not sure you can just pour it in and off you go. On the SAAB you have to use the special Bio-fuel spark plugs and have a software update to be able to use either or fuel.

I'd love to try it but I've not checked its safe in the RS fuel system. If it was safe I'd love to give it a go. It's got good resistance to early detonation so I should be able to run more timing. With the extra boost my car has to run with 1.5deg less timing over factory on normal unleaded.

we had at hread about this a while back .

I have a contact who is
in the semi-pro drag scene . He uses racing fuel (E85) and supples it in drums if asked.
But............ it isnt just pour it in and away you go.

Im told that to get the maximum benefit you need bigger injectors to flow more fuel because as I understand it that is part of how more power is produced. (along with timing adjustment)

That means a seperate map and obviously a motor that can cope with the extra stress..

You will need a different fuel map that is for sure. The reason being is the stoichiometric mixture of normal petrol is 14.7:1 so 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. This is basically lambda 1 and will be what most factory ECU's will look to achieve for best fuel efficiency during closed-loop part throttle, low-mid load operations as all the fuel is burnt with none wasted. To achieve the same with E85 it's closer to 10:1 so significantly more fuel is needed at the same air density.

I've done a lot of reading about E85 but given its lack of availability in the UK, i've not actually had the opportunity to put any of the theory into practice.