Cheeky drivers - queue jumpers.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If there was a single lane queue of cars and you wanted to turn right and the oncoming traffic lane was clear would you go for it? How many cars would you be prepared to jump round? Would you feel guilty?

The second question is this. Would you expect to do a u-turn in the road and rejoin the main queue further up?

Someone did this to me today and overtook about 20 cars. Then wondered why no-one would let her back in when she came out of the junction wanting to turn right.

I also hate when people do that. Your waiting in line at a roundabout or something, then some b*****d drives down the outside trying to cut in, I never let them in!!

I don't do it because it annoys me when others try it.

I sometimes do use an 'alternative' lane at junctions or roundabouts.
Sometimes this does involve using a lane that is NOT marked for my intended route or direction of progress.

I reserve this for situations where the marked lane is also being abused, or occasionally when the vehicle at the front of the (needless) queue is clearly not going to proceed until the whole county is clear of vehicles, moving or otherwise.

Making progress is good, it clears road space for other users.

Clearly, if you're going to disabuse yourself of marked lane discipline, even momentarily, you need to ensure that you do not endanger other road users. You should also ensure that you don't offend them.

It's down to positioning on the road - lot's of drivers play follow the leader day in and day out. Thereby blocking lanes that are otherwise quite legitimately available available to other road users.

If you choose to use an 'alternative lane' then you need to make swift progress to avoid upsetting others.

The Highway Code contradicts my opinion on this.

I'm not suggesting that you do it. I'm just admitting that I do so.

What really bakes my noodle is when there are two or more lanes of traffic, one of which splits off to go somewhere else, therefore you need to make sure you're in the right lane for your intended direction, when someone uses the right lane to overtake then tries to cut in in front of you to take the exit. I never let in any f<lipp>er that tries that s<qua>t on me, even dropping down a gear to match speed with them until I've forced them to miss their exit.

the only thing i do is if there are two lanes at traffic lights and one of them is free of cars and the other is full, ill go into the empty lane make sure i get infront of the other car and then go into the other lane (if any of that makes sense :S) I hate it when thereare road works and people drive on the other side of the road and try and cut in, if i see someone doing this i make sure i speed up or get close to the car in front, BUT THERE IS ALWAYS ONE PRAT WHO LETS THEM IN!

What about the proposal to open the hard shoulder at busy times to get an extra lane? This would be a windscreen companies dream scenario - surely.

The 3 lanes to 2 on motorway roadworks is always fun. I take up residence in the lane that's closing 800 plus yards ahead and site beside the car in the adjacent lane, thereby stopping all the plonkers that try to gain a few car lengths by tearing down to the cones.

Interstingly, when you get to the cones the traffic speed is usually up to around 50mph again, rather than the 5mph it was doing previously.

You need to stand your ground though, it's quite interesting when there are 300 cars behind all flashing and hooting in the hope you'll move aside. I've had one bloke get out of the car on the M5 some months ago and threaten me. Which does not bother me in the slightest. And he lost his place the queue as well.

The 3 lanes to 2 on motorway roadworks is always fun. I take up residence in the lane that's closing 800 plus yards ahead and site beside the car in the adjacent lane, thereby stopping all the plonkers that try to gain a few car lengths by tearing down to the cones.

Interstingly, when you get to the cones the traffic speed is usually up to around 50mph again, rather than the 5mph it was doing previously.

You need to stand your ground though, it's quite interesting when there are 300 cars behind all flashing and hooting in the hope you'll move aside. I've had one bloke get out of the car on the M5 some months ago and threaten me. Which does not bother me in the slightest. And he lost his place the queue as well.

The fact he got out his car on a motorway shows how much of a muppet he is. Mind you, BMW M5 Driver, kind of goes without saying.