Cheap car insurance with a catch

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
This is an interesting scheme from the AA for cheap insurance. A black box tracking device is fitted to your car to give them feedback on your driving style. (Speed, cornering, braking etc...) and they will use it to assess your actual risk as a driver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16969509

Would you have one fitted if it meant cheaper insurance? Would it change your driving style?

No way, if I can't have fun in my car then I don't want a car at all! I don't think this is a good way forward. I know people who drive slowly, corner slowly and brake gently who are appauling drivers.

It might work on some young drivers and slow them up a bit and make them think but in the main I think this is a bad idea.

Sir.... Have you spent the last year constantly driving on the m6? Why have you never eased below 60, no matter what corner you go around?

.........urrmmmm :confused:

I'll never have one.

Big Brother.

I think it's a great idea! I only passed my test a couple of years ago and 'cause I'm young, therefore, I'm a bad driver, which I'm not. For my first year, on a 1L 1999 Nissan Micra I paid about £3000 for a years insurance!!

Anything that will help young, genuinely good drivers lower their premiums is a good thing! and it might help get rid of the stereotype that "all young drivers are bad drivers"

I think it's a great idea! I only passed my test a couple of years ago and 'cause I'm young, therefore, I'm a bad driver, which I'm not. For my first year, on a 1L 1999 Nissan Micra I paid about £3000 for a years insurance!!

Anything that will help young, genuinely good drivers lower their premiums is a good thing! and it might help get rid of the stereotype that "all young drivers are bad drivers"

Are you on Crack?

How much of your life do you want recorded on a database? So far your

Bank details
Where you live
What food you eat (credit card bills)
Where you holiday
What your sexual orientation is
How much you earn
What car you drive

is all down in a document somewhere.

Now your saying its a good idea that the government knows exactly where you are all the time. And if you brake the speed limit they will know straight away. Behave yourself.

Insurance may be steep for the first couple years but you have to grin an bare it. Thats life. Thank the dodgy claims for that. This is NOT the way forward.

Now your saying its a good idea that the government knows exactly where you are all the time. And if you brake the speed limit they will know straight away. Behave yourself.

Insurance may be steep for the first couple years but you have to grin an bare it. Thats life. Thank the dodgy claims for that. This is NOT the way forward.

I only mean that it's a good idea for the first couple of years, once the premiums plateau then it's not necessary anymore

Once things like this are introduced, they never go back. Diesel was meant to go up temp, but never came down. Fuel, in 2008/9 was meant to go back down with the 15% vat deduction. It didn't. Then when they put it up to 20% they raised the price, so we lost both ways.

Once things like this are introduced, they never go back. Diesel was meant to go up temp, but never came down. Fuel, in 2008/9 was meant to go back down with the 15% vat deduction. It didn't. Then when they put it up to 20% they raised the price, so we lost both ways.

Fair point, I see where you're coming from now :sad2:

for the new driver (regular , average , just a way to get from a to b) i think it would be nice to get their insurance premiuns down.... for the petrol heads like me , not a good idea at all !

I'm surprised that these black box policies are really taking off! It's not for me but I suppose the cost saving is making it worthwhile especially for younger drivers.