Car makers you avoid

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which car makes would you avoid like the plague?

This is not intended to be a my cars better yours is rubbish thread but just a chance to voice our personal preferences in cars we would never ever consider buying.

KIA is one i'd avoid, they are plasticky and riddled with silly faults and issues. I've also tended to avoid Renault and Peugeot for reliability reasons but I'm sure they have probably sorted that out now.

For me it is more to do with build history than a brand thing. Some marques have suffered across the range due to poor build or parts and these are shared across the whole platform. However you get some models that are prone to fault after fault with other models being fine. So I wouldn't steer clear of a manufacturer purely because of one or two poor models. I can't think of one brand I wouldn't touch as they all evolve and improve. Even the lesser ones are looking pretty sharp these days, even Dacia, they seem to be doing well for what was once a brand to dismiss and to be left in Romania with all the other Renault 12 lookalikes.

Kia now has a 7 year unlimited mileage/kilometer warranty so that surely has to be a vote of confidence in the build quality.

Remembering when Anglias and Cortinas were new and up to date, any new car would be fine by me :)

Peugeot... never known a good one. They all seem to fall to pieces rather rapidly. So many people I know, including family, have bought Peugeots. I've yet to hear a 'good' experience. My sisters current car is a Peugeot, and its a liability. Every journey is an experience - wondering what mad disaster might occur next.

in response to oldgit...

I remember both those Ford models.

Despite my current dislike of Vauxhall there was a period in the 1980s when they made some damned good cars. Cavaliers and Carltons were arguably some of the best home brew vehicles of the era. Better than a Merc or BMW? Possibly not but they were well priced, well proven and worked well.