Best and worst car makers 2010

Best estate Mini Clubman??? Best for who, blind people with no sense of style? It looks like a cut and shut straight from the factory.

How many manufacturers are there in the survey? What I mean is how far away is no 10 of the best from no 1 of the worst?

Do you think somone gets paid to print this rubbish? :confused:

EH?????

1. Skoda - Cheep and nasty.
2. Porsche - Overpiced
3. Daihatsu - What the hell??
4. Alfa Romeo - Break down cover needed.
5. Hyundai - Inteeria falls to bits
6. Jaguar - Possible shout for top 10
7. SEAT - Really?
8. Jeep - Overpriced Landy
9. Mitsubishi - Not for 2010
10. BMW - Good Shout

Are they for real?

As for the bottom

1. Saab - Yeah, they deserve that
2. Vauxhall - Still producing cheep reliable cars
3. Volkswagen - polo 70mpg thing should warrent top 10
4. Peugeot - Dont like them so will not comment
5. Chevrolet - Yeah, they deserve that
6. Toyota - Bit harsh.
7. Ford - ??? What is wrong with them??
8. Lexus - Overpriced but good cars
9. Land Rover - Totaly disagree.
10. Renault - French, who gives a rats arse

this is complete crap! BBJ, agree with you on most of the above, especially Ford, Landrover, Volkswagon. Cant really believe that Hyundai and Jeep are better than them. As for Daihatsu?? this must be a joke that they just threw in to keep people reading.

No one is paid.

It's entirely based on the problems reported by folks who have bought those machines. Of course, Toyota/Lexus could be penalised due to the recall for brakes etc.

Skoda are one of the most consistent manufacturers when it comes to reliability. If they weren't, then they wouldn't be the marque of choice for so many Taxi firms, Ambulance Services and Police Forces.
As for cheap, don't make me laugh. The may be cheaper than VW, but not by much.

Nor is it too surprising that VW have dropped into the bottom 10, They've been under-performing for sometime now, yet they never seem to take the time to look at their subsidiaries and mix the best practices.

At the bottom of the list! a Saab?? :( oh no! anyone like to buy a 9-3? one previous loving owner willing to swop for something at the top of the list! lol :lol:

At the bottom of the list! a Saab?? :( oh no! anyone like to buy a 9-3? one previous loving owner willing to swop for something at the top of the list! lol :lol:

I think Saab is there for there aftercare teem. My Mum has had Saab's for years and she said in recent years, the dealers dont want to know you after you have bought the thing. She says that once they are sold, if you go back there with questions they palm you off. I have never delt with them tho.

I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS ABOUT SKODA'S. EVERY ONE I HAVE BEEN IN FEELS CHEEP, THE FLY WHEELS GO AFTER 60000 MILES. YES THE ENGINES ARE GETTING A REP FOR BEING BULLET PROFE, BUT SO WHAT, ALOT OF CARS WILL HAPPILY DO 150000 MILES BEFORE PROBLEMS THIS DAY AND AGE.

Everyone seems to be on the Skoda band wagon. Every one I hear says ''they are just like a passatt''. Maby.....but its not is it. All a skoda does for me is tell me that you are either cheep (because you couldn't afford a VW) or your a taxi driver. They are not a luxury car. They dont have any special driving atributes. They are not sporty in any way. They do not handle any better than any other car in that price range. They are not that fast. For this reason they are not a drivers car. They are fine for first time drivers, or family cars to do the shopping in, don't get me wrong, there is nothing major wrong with them, but they are nothing to rave about. Everyone I speek to that has one, tries to tell me that they are the best thing since sliced bread, but im sorry, I don't believe them.

Loads of taxt dirvers got the 406, but no one raves about them.

Last edited:
No one is paid.

It's entirely based on the problems reported by folks who have bought those machines. Of course, Toyota/Lexus could be penalised due to the recall for brakes etc..

it the usual thing with statistics, as per another thread by HDi, we dont know was asked about this but arent they normally done by people entering or voting. So as this is usually a disproportionate area of the population - i.e. those who have the time and can be bothered to answer surveys.

so really, the results are somewhat nonsense regardless of what cars appear where. Also, where are the numbers about how many people said what?

Why not look around?

JD Power are the one's who usually run it so let's Google them.

Bingo!.

The key point:

The satisfaction percentage score is made of four sections.

• Vehicle appeal 37%
• Quality and reliability 24%,
• Ownership costs 22%
• Quality of service from dealers 17%.

All cars included in this year's survey were registered between January 2007 and December 2008, so were at least a year old when owners were questioned.

Edit: Ok, that's weird. Should be JD Power, but the results are completely different. Not sure now :confused:

Further edit: Having checked What Car's site, it seems that not the first in either survey. So where have Yahoo got this from?

Last edited:
Well that wins most rediculous car based article of the month for this month. I mostly agree with Joe, apart from your views on Alfas and Skodas are somewhat dated mate lol. Who even read Whatcar anyway!? Influential my backside.

Seat in the top ten, and VW in the bottom? Bit of a contradiction with most of the cars being virtually the same cookie cutter borefest.

Best Estate Mini Clubman? It's not April fools day yet. Then again, the type of people that buy these sort of cars really do think they are actually good. Probably all upgraded from a PT Cruiser.

I think the highest percentage surveyed here were middle-aged men, who have some trendily named but mostly pointless job along the lines of personel or middle-management. That and COMPLETE IDIOTS.

Please note, the above is not opinion but indeed complete fact.

I can't see how the Peugeot 3008 got the top What Car 2010 COTY award. Especially that particular model.

It's not big enough to be a big car.
Not compact enough to be a small one.
Not economical enough to be cheap on fuel.
Not quick enough to be considered fast.
It's not a hatchback nor is it an off roader.
Not cheap enough to be a bargain.
Not pricey enough to be a bragging point. etc. etc

So why the award? There's nothing inspiring or inspired about it.

Peugeot has lost the plot of late, much like Nissan. All Peugeot's cars are compromises. None stands out from the crowd.

But to get the 'prestigious' COTY overall winner to my mind should demand more than mediocrity in all areas.

perhaps thats the point, now the majority are so willing to accept mediocracy in everything that the COTY has to go to the most mediocre. disappointing.

Right then, there is only one way to settle this. Get your self over to ''HOT POLLS'' and enter your choice of Car Maker of the year in the polling options! :p

If the professinals aint got a clue about this, lets find out for our self who is the best car maker of 2010.

I'd rather take brilliance in some areas and poor performance in others. Overall mediocrity is bland, even if a car does nothing badly and most things fairly well.

I'm not saying that the Peugeot 3008 isn't a worthy car, it does not disappoint but it doesn't sparkle either.

As for maker of the year, I have no idea to be honest. I'm out of touch with most current model releases. For innovation I have admired Renault for years but the build quality and subsequent reliability both have always been stumbling blocks for me and many others besides.

Let the French innovate and then let the Germans or the Japanese build it properly. Yet for interior kitsch I still think classic British is the way.

Maker of the year for me? -- -- I'll vote for Jaguar I think with it's simply brilliant XF. In fairness, I haven't driven BMW's and MB's current alternatives.

Nothing else really floats my boat. I like Peugeot's 607 but it's a million years old now. Ford doesn't do a Scorpio/Granada model now, the Mondeo, good as it is, doesn't quite do the job for the two market segments it addresses (and everso nearly convinces).

Vauxhall - not a fan, which is not to say that there are not some good ones.

Another unlikely contender is Volvo - the S80 is a much berated yet superbly conceived car. Again, yesterday's car.

I really don't like the current fad for 'lifestyle' cars, 'crossover' cars etc etc.

Last edited:
Volvo is a very good contender actually, never considered that one. Don't think you can vote Jag because of one car though mate lol.

No, perhaps not - it's a fair point of yours and I acknowledge it as such, but at least I've stuck a tiny little bit to my point of recognising what I see as excellence in one place (in this case, one whole car :embarrest: ) rather than looking for a range of worthy yet dull cars from the same maker.

Then again, is the XJ saloon especially exciting? Nope, probably not. Then again, nor is any BMW despite the fact that they do most things fairly well.