Battery relocation.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Has anyone relocated their battery to the boot? What is needed and how hard is it to do? Is it a costly job? I was thinking of doing this so I can add a cold feed pipe direct to the induction kit. An I just wondered if anyone else has doen this? Also how would I mount it in the boot? I'm planning on makin a false floor out of mdf in the near future so it would have a solid base if I decided to do it.. Thanks in advance for replies people much appreciated :D:D

get an auto electrition to run the wires for you, if you dont know about wiring... take the carpet and plastic interior off to make his job easier, so you'll pay for wire and small labour only
about 30 euros is what youd pay over here for a electrical job

as for the false door with mdf, make a proper thing out of it so you can install speakers too

i dont know if its a big job or not, but it sounds sraight foward enough mate.
ask an auto electrition first though, at least you know whats involved for certain

forgot to say, i like the idea as im restricted with my inducktion kit too, the h22a engiene is queit a tight 1, let me know what is involved mate, i could copy your thinking

forgot to say, i like the idea as im restricted with my inducktion kit too, the h22a engiene is queit a tight 1, let me know what is involved mate, i could copy your thinking

I'll keep you posted I was gonna do it myself...:D:D I think if I ask my dad he'll give me a hand. An he knows what he's on with more than me....:D

battery wire is pretty expensive stuff mate, i got some as couldnt find a way of getting a power cable to the boot for the amps so was going to run it along the underside of the car. iirc it was £20 for the roll i bought and i thinkit was 5mtrs, still got it in the shed as never needed it
think you need to have the battery fully supported and in a metal bracket incase of leaks, and the big battery termimals clamps really need to be fitted using a vice

battery wire is pretty expensive stuff mate, i got some as couldnt find a way of getting a power cable to the boot for the amps so was going to run it along the underside of the car. iirc it was £20 for the roll i bought and i thinkit was 5mtrs, still got it in the shed as never needed it
think you need to have the battery fully supported and in a metal bracket incase of leaks, and the big battery termimals clamps really need to be fitted using a vice

Would I need to run it under the car? I wondered if I could find a way of getting it down the door sills.? If I do it it'll have an Mdf base...

no i was going to run it under the car as i couldnt see a way of getting through the firewall which is covered in heat shield material.
the mdf base will be fine but i think you need a metal plate for the battery incase it leaks - battery acid will have no problem eating through the carpet and mdf

no i was going to run it under the car as i couldnt see a way of getting through the firewall which is covered in heat shield material.
the mdf base will be fine but i think you need a metal plate for the battery incase it leaks - battery acid will have no problem eating through the carpet and mdf

Oh ok I see what you mean sorry mate bit confused there. I don't know if there is a way through my firewall yet?? But if there isn't i'll make one :D:D:D

jesus, and i thought its a sraight foward job
well thats how good i know about electric cables, shocking isnt it

jesus, and i thought its a sraight foward job
well thats how good i know about electric cables, shocking isnt it

It is a fairly straight forward job. "I think" The main things are good quality thick cable and as Pgarner reminded me a Metal tray for the battery to sit in. Other than that it's pretty straight forward...

Please do not fit a standard lead/acid battery inside the car, yes i know it's the boot. To fit any battery in the boot, it still needs to be done properly, secured correctly and with protected terminals. If you are daft enough to use a lead acid type, it also needs an external vent, acid gives off toxic fumes which are not only dangerous but flammable.
If you do a job, do it properly, fit a gel battery. We use Optima's when we do a boot install, i have a yellow top in mine.There are plenty of suppliers, shop around for the best price.
It's quite a common set-up on modified cars.
We run the cables through the car. Just make sure that the cables are protected by using correct grommets when drilling through the bulkhead, common sense tells you that you need to plan where to drill etc.
Don't run power wires the same side as audio wires.
Use a breaker and correctly rated fuses.
Done properly it is a good enhancement. Done on the cheap it is most probably dangerous and bloody awful.

Please do not fit a standard lead/acid battery inside the car, yes i know it's the boot. To fit any battery in the boot, it still needs to be done properly, secured correctly and with protected terminals. If you are daft enough to use a lead acid type, it also needs an external vent, acid gives off toxic fumes which are not only dangerous but flammable.
If you do a job, do it properly, fit a gel battery. We use Optima's when we do a boot install, i have a yellow top in mine.There are plenty of suppliers, shop around for the best price.
It's quite a common set-up on modified cars.
We run the cables through the car. Just make sure that the cables are protected by using correct grommets when drilling through the bulkhead, common sense tells you that you need to plan where to drill etc.
Don't run power wires the same side as audio wires.
Use a breaker and correctly rated fuses.
Done properly it is a good enhancement. Done on the cheap it is most probably dangerous and bloody awful.

Thanks for the advise mate much appreciated. So is a normal battery a no no then? My mums beemer had a standard battery in the boot an that came from the factory? I'm glad you've said it though I will look into a yellow top. I have seen them before but didn't think it was needed. I'll run the power wire down the side that my power wire for the amp is. My RCA leads run down the other side. Thanks again for the advise..

Does the Beemer have an enclosed boot ? i.e. no folding rear seats. A simple rule is if the seats fold then they are likely to do so of their own accord in an accident. Trust me, the last thing you want whilst you are upside down in a ditch is sulphuric acid leaking out of a battery and onto your face.:)

Does the Beemer have an enclosed boot ? i.e. no folding rear seats. A simple rule is if the seats fold then they are likely to do so of their own accord in an accident. Trust me, the last thing you want whilst you are upside down in a ditch is sulphuric acid leaking out of a battery and onto your face.:)

Mate don't take offence I was just asking thats all. I do trust you but was just asking a question an point taken my seats do fold down so now I understand what your saying bud an thankyou again for your input mate it's is really muce appreciated. I'd like to keep my face lol. Thats the reason I posted this so I could get as much information as possible before I do decide to do it...:D

Hell no, i didn't take any offence or even read it that way. I was just saying something which i probably should have said in the first post. ;)

Hell no, i didn't take any offence or even read it that way. I was just saying something which i probably should have said in the first post. ;)

Good good mate thanks for the advise like I say I will now look into a new battery as before I didn't think it mattered much. What about the other + wires that connect to the battery? Will I be able to join them to the new wire at the engine or will I have to run them individually?

We run 0 gauge wires from the battery. In the engine bay you will need a distribution block where you go from 0 gauge to your requirement for the alternator and starter motor. Don't forget that you will also need to retain the ignition to starter solenoid wire, or you won't be going anywhere. :lol:
Unless you have them, you will also need a good pair of battery terminals, these are available for about £20 on e-bay and you can get some good ones for that.
I think a good search for solid web based info is needed if you haven't done this type of work before. I'm sure there's some good books out there too.
I'll have a look at what books we have in the workshop to see if i can point you in the right direction.
Every car is different in it's requirements, just remember that you can get quality parts at a good price if you shop around but it's very rare that you'll get quality parts for a few quid, unless of course, that's all they're worth. :)
Hmmm, it seems that my latest fetish is the word "Good", oh well ! :lol:

We run 0 gauge wires from the battery. In the engine bay you will need a distribution block where you go from 0 gauge to your requirement for the alternator and starter motor. Don't forget that you will also need to retain the ignition to starter solenoid wire, or you won't be going anywhere. :lol:
Unless you have them, you will also need a good pair of battery terminals, these are available for about £20 on e-bay and you can get some good ones for that.
I think a good search for solid web based info is needed if you haven't done this type of work before. I'm sure there's some good books out there too.
I'll have a look at what books we have in the workshop to see if i can point you in the right direction.
Every car is different in it's requirements, just remember that you can get quality parts at a good price if you shop around but it's very rare that you'll get quality parts for a few quid, unless of course, that's all they're worth. :)
Hmmm, it seems that my latest fetish is the word "Good", oh well ! :lol:

lol I know what you mean about quality I tell people this everyday when it comes to In car audio. Cheers for the interest mate. :D And any info is very much appreciated mate thankyou...:D