Car Tuning and Styling Car Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, and welcome. You will have to register for full access to our friendly car forums, and before you can post: click the sign up link to register (at the top right) it only takes a moment.
    (If you have already registered then you will need to log in.)

Can I put any car battery into any car

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by aston, 24 January 2014.

1. aston

aston The Torque Meister

Car:
    FORD,VOLVO,MERC,MAZ
    The battery on my car is dead however I do have a decent battery which I picked up along the way, If it fits the tray can it damage the car at all, Electronics, alarms clocks etc? Or is it a rule with modern cars the specified battery has to be used?
    Thank you

2. SLEEPER

SLEEPER Torque Junkie

Media:
    Albums:
    as long as it fits and is the same volts. Yes

But make sure the power rating is enough

3. HDi fun

HDi fun TC Professional

Media:
    Albums:
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi 170
    I can't think of any cars that don't have 12 volt systems. If it fits in the tray and is properly restrained then it will be absolutely fine.

4. aston

aston The Torque Meister

Car:
    FORD,VOLVO,MERC,MAZ
    I have gone out and purchased the correct battery, Eurocarparts do a blinding deal on batteries with 30% off and 3 year warranty,

5. T9 man

T9 man TC Founder Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    I hear more and more good things about Euro Car Parts these days ;)

6. aston

aston The Torque Meister

Car:
    FORD,VOLVO,MERC,MAZ
    Not that good I am afraid, When I purchased the battery the inspection glass had no colour (Usually green) I asked the bloke if the batteries are fully charged and he replied yes so I just assumed it was too dark to see in the shop, As soon as I got home I put my CTek smart charger on the battery and now 20 hours later it still has not charged, One problem with the ctek is that is only shows fully charged, no indication of part charged, so without going out in the rain and swapping batteries I have no idea if it works at all, Not good news as ECParts are not open on a Sunday and hopefully I don't know if the old battery is good enough go to work tomorrow.......Just hope the rain stops

7. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Car:
    A3 2.0 TDI
    From what I understand Batteries for any specific car take into account load. Diesel batteries tend to be much more heavy duty than petrol ones. Although they all run at 12 volts you should be careful switching to a non standard battery. Under full load they will often run out of juice.

8. HDi fun

HDi fun TC Professional

Media:
    Albums:
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi 170
    You also need to ensure that the alternator has enough clout to replenish the battery sufficiently.