Can I put any car battery into any car

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
The battery on my car is dead however I do have a decent battery which I picked up along the way, If it fits the tray can it damage the car at all, Electronics, alarms clocks etc? Or is it a rule with modern cars the specified battery has to be used?
Thank you

I have gone out and purchased the correct battery, Eurocarparts do a blinding deal on batteries with 30% off and 3 year warranty,

Not that good I am afraid, When I purchased the battery the inspection glass had no colour (Usually green) I asked the bloke if the batteries are fully charged and he replied yes so I just assumed it was too dark to see in the shop, As soon as I got home I put my CTek smart charger on the battery and now 20 hours later it still has not charged, One problem with the ctek is that is only shows fully charged, no indication of part charged, so without going out in the rain and swapping batteries I have no idea if it works at all, Not good news as ECParts are not open on a Sunday and hopefully I don't know if the old battery is good enough go to work tomorrow.......Just hope the rain stops

From what I understand Batteries for any specific car take into account load. Diesel batteries tend to be much more heavy duty than petrol ones. Although they all run at 12 volts you should be careful switching to a non standard battery. Under full load they will often run out of juice.